Cfe 223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bike Effects View Post
    The computer program QuickLOAD will give you that answer.
    Use extreme caution when using QuickLoad.

It often gives pressures that are different from published data by more than 10% and seems to get worse for the longer bullets.

While it is possible to diddle with the knobs to get better correlation, one needs to know what is reasonable for lot-to-lot variation of powder burn rates, and other arcane bits of information to have even a prayer of getting reliable results.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
      I would bet that the bolt in my rifle has seen that pressure as many times if not more. I have about 3,750 rnds down range with my rifle and the majority of that was load development. 52K PSI is a walk in the park for the Grendel bolt.

I have Produced some very scarey looking brass in my early days of Grendel load development, and I'm still using the bolt my rifle shipped with.
      I've been wanting to ask you about this for a while now, but you have just answered it in great detail as well.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Tried some CFE today with 123 gn Amax. I must say I like it. It gave me almost 100 fps more than 8208. I did try 31.3 gn of CFE but the group opened up.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          Been using the straw since day one. I've also raised dispensing speed with the tricks mentioned above.
          How about putting a picture of chargemaster with said straw so the rest of can understand what you are doing.

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
            How about putting a picture of chargemaster with said straw so the rest of can understand what you are doing.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Here is a pic of the straw trick!

Comment

• babaganoush
                Warrior
                • Jan 2013

Not carved like a Halloween Jack o' Lantern, but works as advertised.
                IMG_0199.jpg
                "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• Blacklab
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2012

hmmm thanks for the visual. I had it all wrong. Thought it went over the tube not inserted.
                  Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

Now I see. Thanks!

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Approximately what length do y'all cut the straw too?
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Bike Effects

Originally posted by cory View Post
                        Mines about an inch and no special cuts on the end. Works fine. No need to over think this.

Comment

• babaganoush
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
                          No more than an inch is needed, and mine may be longer than necessary. You wouldn't know it from the performance, though. All you need is something to keep the internal ridges of the dispenser from clumping up the powder at the mouth of the tube.

And, yes, this is a true no-brainer.
                          "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Guys:

Ball powder and automatic dispensers? There are two advantages to ball powder. One is that its bulk density is normally much greater than extruded powder so you can get velocity out of small cases. Second is its metering ability which is incredibly good and and thus eliminates the need to individually measure each charge. Really...

There really is no need to use an automatic dispenser with ball powders and my bet is that a person will have more problems with automatic dispensers and ball powders than without.

LR1955

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                              Guys:

Ball powder and automatic dispensers? There are two advantages to ball powder. One is that its bulk density is normally much greater than extruded powder so you can get velocity out of small cases. Second is its metering ability which is incredibly good and and thus eliminates the need to individually measure each charge. Really...

There really is no need to use an automatic dispenser with ball powders and my bet is that a person will have more problems with automatic dispensers and ball powders than without.

LR1955
                              Not everyone has a free standing meter. I still dont, I never used one until I started reloading pistol rounds on my progressive presses. I used my RCBS for every charge prior to that, cut my reloading times for rifle to less than half what it was before.

But your point is well taken, ball powder charges can be incredibly well metered, enough so that only the top level of marksmen probably can tell the difference between .1-.2 grains of variance.

Comment

Working...
                              X