Hornady brass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady brass.

Getting ready to load my first Grendel rounds. Does new Hornady brass need resized? I am going to try and duplicate the 123 A-max and SST factory loads with 8208. I have a chrony and am going to try and match the factory velocity as it shoots good in my gun. I also have some 120 NBT's and the 120 Hot Cores. I will play with those later. The A-Max worked well on one of my son's first deer.
  • Longshot_34

All new brass should be sized.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by k280 View Post
      Getting ready to load my first Grendel rounds. Does new Hornady brass need resized? I am going to try and duplicate the 123 A-max and SST factory loads with 8208. I have a chrony and am going to try and match the factory velocity as it shoots good in my gun. I also have some 120 NBT's and the 120 Hot Cores. I will play with those later. The A-Max worked well on one of my son's first deer.
      Although you can load it and shoot it, I recommend you size it and chamfer the inside and outside of the neck to get rid of burrs.

LR1955

Comment

• wheelguner
        Warrior
        • Oct 2011

I totally agree with LR1955. I Checked at least 10 out of every box of fifty pieces of new Hornady Brass in my chamber gauge and all were amazingly consistent and in spec. I also measured the shoulder to base length, neck diameter and body diameter just above the rim so that I could compare to fired cases. I chamfer all of my new brass and neck size in a Wilson die before loading.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Thanks for asking i was wondering the same thing.

Comment

• XcountryRider

I need to resize my brass then. What do you guys recommend?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

I don't resize new Lapua or Hornady Grendel brass, but I do run the expander ball through the neck to be sure they are round, then chamfer and deburr the necks.

I haven't EVER had a Lapua/AA or Hornady piece of new brass that doesn't chamber correctly.

Comment

• babaganoush
                Warrior
                • Jan 2013

I'm with Bill on this. Neck Size / Expander Ball just to round the case mouth. Chamfer / Deburr to aid seating and chambering. Done.
                "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Thanks for your help, now I need some cooler weather here so I can shoot.Supposed to be 105 here today.

Comment

Working...
                  X