X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBluePup

Redding dies...

So I've pretty much decided on Redding dies,
    What my question is, will it be worth it to wait till I can get one of the seating dies with the micrometer depth gauge, or will their standard set be geed enough?
    I'm spending way to much on this Grendel build to skimp on something as cheap as the dies but there is a 2 die Redding set online that is in stock now but it's the standard...

Do you guys get that much more performance out of the "Type-S" style with the micrometer seating die?
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BigBluePup View Post
    So I've pretty much decided on Redding dies,
    What my question is, will it be worth it to wait till I can get one of the seating dies with the micrometer depth gauge, or will their standard set be geed enough?
    I'm spending way to much on this Grendel build to skimp on something as cheap as the dies but there is a 2 die Redding set online that is in stock now but it's the standard...

Do you guys get that much more performance out of the "Type-S" style with the micrometer seating die?
    Performance, no. Ease of use and repeatability of seating depth when you change back and forth between bullet styles -- absolutely.

If you only shoot one bullet type, get the regular die. If you shoot more than one bullet type, spend the money and get the micrometer adjustable one.

LR1955

Comment

Who are your favorite suppliers of reloading equipment—suppliers who have excellent products, excellent inventory, and excellent customer service?

Comment

Midway USA, Grafs, midsouth, sinclair, gunstop. No particular order, I always price an order with each and it usually boils down to who has all the products I want. Im sure I missed one or two good ones,someone will chime in

Comment

• BigBluePup

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          Performance, no. Ease of use and repeatability of seating depth when you change back and forth between bullet styles -- absolutely.

If you only shoot one bullet type, get the regular die. If you shoot more than one bullet type, spend the money and get the micrometer adjustable one.

LR1955
          Thanks, That was kinda what I was thinking. I've yet to use those dies but it seems setting and adjusting depth would be a piece of cake with that set!
          I haven't ran anything down to barrel yet (still waiting on PROOF) But they are cutting the rifling to shoot 130-123gr pills.
          It's gunna be a hunting rig and I've had TON of success with Berger so their 130gr VLD will be what I focus on building a cartridge around.
          But I'd love to be able to play around and see if I can get some Amax's and other lighter rounds for dogs/cats and ground squirrels out in the high yardage range.
          I'm sure I seem to be like most on here and can't seem to leave well enough alone, always want to be tinkering

Guess I'll wait till I see some in stock or maybe just bite the bullet (Pun intended) and get on a backorder list somewhere...
          Thanks guys.

Comment

• seatleroadwr

You might want to look at Forster's Benchrest seating die. It is a little less expensive than the Redding and does a great job. I have both Redding and Forster Seating dies however I usually buy Forster because the seem to be a better value. I use Redding S type sizing dies.

Comment

• wheelguner
              Warrior
              • Oct 2011

One of the few benefits of being 65yrs old is experience and I no longer worry about offering my opinion. I have tried every manufacturers die sets and have settled on Hornady New Dimension Dies for cartridges that require full length sizing. The Hornady seating die has a sliding sleeve that helps seat the bullets with VERY little run out and they offer micrometer seating stems that can be added if you so desire (Midway once offered these seating stems at a very low sale price and I picked enough for all of my dies). The only commercial dies that I have found that seat bullets with less run out are Wilson's seating dies and I use them along with their neck sizing dies for cartridges that I neck size only for my bolt actions rifles.

Comment

• wheelguner
                Warrior
                • Oct 2011

I finished my earlier post and reading all the new post and surfed over to the 6mm Br site and found an interesting article about reloading for the AR10 in .308. He makes some very interesting points that apply to the Grendel. If you haven't visited this site you need to, it is an excellent source of info and they have a lot of info on the Grendel as well.

Comment

• BigBluePup

Thanks wheelgunner! I'll check it out...

Comment

• ducks-and-bucks

I use the regular dies for the grendel... they work fine. Redding is best.... their customer service is amazing.. I broke one once and they just sent me a knew one for free... the 2nd post says it all.

Comment

Working...
                    X