• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickOshay
    Warrior
    • Apr 2012

Hot time at the range

Literally. It was unusually hot for Southern CA yesterday. My favorite indoor range had HVAC problems, so the temperature was 95 F. This is the first time I was able to see the effects of high temperature.

I was there to tryout some loads for the premium 120 gr SS bullet from North Fork Technologies http://www.northforkbullets.com/mage...m-bonded-core/ Per the manufacturer's instructions, I backed off the typical load by 8% due to the bullet construction.

Using AA2520, I worked up to 28.5 gr and achieved a 3-shot average of 2575 fps with ES of 9. No signs of high pressure. So I will keep going to 29 gr in hopes of duplicating the commercial A-AMAX velocity (see below).

Also, I shot 5 of my 123 gr SST loads using AA2520 at 30.2 gr. These averaged 2667 fps with ES of 29. The high FPS in this group was 2708 ! I had ejector marks on the brass, but nothing that indicated extreme pressure.

I haven't recorded the 123 SST previously to compare, but 123 A-MAX on top of 30.0 gr AA2520 average 2609 when the AC is working.

As a control, and to sight in my new Vortex PST, I shot 6 commercial Hornady 123 A-MAX and recorded an average of 2600 fps with ES of 19. This compares to an average of 2567 fps when the AC is working.

So the ~20 F higher temperature accounted for an increase in about 30 fps.

Details:
    24" Satern barrel (1:8.75) on Mega Billet receiver
    Brass: Hornady (2x fired)
    Primer: REM 7.5
    Temp: 95 F
    Wind: 0
    Chronograph: Magnetospeed

Interesting observations that support probably a century of data. I noticed the same with a Precision Firearms load that spiked up to 2583fps on me from my 16" barrel on a hot day, when that load normally averaged 2450fps for me with a 7fps extreme spread.

The spherical powders do seem to be more temp-sensitive, but allow better case fills. I guess this is why a lot of accuracy freaks like small extruded powders like 8208XBR.

Comment

Working...
    X