• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waveslayer
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

Benchrest Magnum Primers versus Magnum Primers

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1,000 primers from a contact. He has both Benchrest Small Rifle Magnum and Small Rifle Magnum primers for sale. Should I use the Benchrest Primers or will I be fine with just the Normal Small Rifle Magnum?

I'm still waiting for my AA upper to arrive.... until then I can only dream of shooting and reloading the Grendel.
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

If the price is comprible I would go or the bench rest but in this market I would buy both
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Magnum has no defined meaning in terms of describing primers, neither does bench rest for that mater. The more important question is which primers are these? You need to know manufacturer and specific model. Because of the terms used I suspect the bench rest magnums are Remington 7.5 primers, because those are the words used on the package. and the Small Rifle Magnums are Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers because again those are the words used on the package. If my assumptions are correct they are both very good primers for use in a Grendel. But you really need to know what they are.
      The common perception is that magnum primers are hotter, have a more intense flame but that is incorrect, both of the above primers are moderate to gentle. Bench rest is used to primarily denote more consistent ignition but that is also a misnomer. The Wolf SRM mentioned above is more consistent than the Remington 7.5 or CCI BR4 bench rest primers.
      Bob

Comment

• waveslayer
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

They are both CCI primers.

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I have heard/ read that the only difference between CCI benchrest & standard primers is that they are processed by their most experienced employees.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

The CCI BR4's and 450's have thicker cups, and the BR4 has a slightly larger diameter. Google the primers-the specs are maybe on a benchrest shooter website, forgot which one.
            I have bricks of 450's to use up. They have been fine on my all shoots. They cost less than the BR4's also.

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

Scroll down and there are the primer dimensions

The CCI BR4 is .0005 larger in dia than the 450 and .004 hingher

Last edited by Von Gruff; 05-12-2013, 08:13 PM.
              http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
              Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Thanks Von-been busy here across the swamp-pond. ,, I think there may be 1 -2 more sites,,, one of us will see-find it. That radomski is the first one I found last yr.=maybe a couple more=- but this one explains it in a fine fashion-details it all= what is safer than the others, etc.
                Take note to all-==the height of the cup= the closer to the free float firing pin.
                Study this ! Learn it , know it! Live it.

Von, thank 's for re- finding this site. You da- man, this reminds me why I like the 450's.

What does goat jerky taste like, as compared to deer-beef? ever made any G. J.?, thanks,,

S1
                Last edited by sneaky one; 05-14-2013, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

No jerky, Roast the back legs brase the chops and usually bone out the rest for stew and mince meat with a couple of the bone-outs added to a couple of my sheep every so often for sausage and saveloy.
                  http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                  Acts 4:10-12

Comment

This is very good article for primer burn rate showing the Rem 7.5 as the hottest but not the most accurate. Hunting primer as opposed to a target primer.
                    Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X