Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • closetohome

130gr Berger VLD

Decided to give these bullets a try just to see how they did. I have 3lbs of Win 748 laying around and the prospects of getting anything different seemed kind of bleak. Started at 24.5g and loaded in .5g increments up to 26g. In my C products 10rd mag I can get them loaded to 2.300" OAL and they function and feed perfectly with paper thin clearance on the front of the mag.

26g. of Win 748 in new Lapua brass, BR4 primers, 130g Berger Target VLD @2.300" OAL seemed to be the load. Group measures out at 0.175". Loaded up 10 more at 26gr. to chrono this weekend. If velocity is respectable and the VLD's dont get goofy on me and the load repeats itself I will be a happy camper.

130 Berger.jpg

Grendel.jpg
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

If you get repeatability and velocity you are on a winner with that load. Nice shooting.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

The conventional "wisdom" always seemed to declare that VLD's won't shoot in gas guns because you can't load them into the lands. My experience is that VLD's shoot really well for me, at least from my .260 Rem.

Comment

looks like you found a good load. be interesting to see what velocities are. What make and twist barrel is that?

Comment

• tackdriver
          Warrior
          • Feb 2013

What length barrel?

Comment

• closetohome

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            looks like you found a good load. be interesting to see what velocities are. What make and twist barrel is that?
            Bought the upper from Precision Firearms about a year ago...24" Les Baer 264 LBC Chamber 1 in 8 twist. I switched the handguard to the JP extended length a few weeks ago and put the Nightforce on it. So far the barrel seems to favor Barnes TSX's and hopefully now the Bergers. Factory Accubonds shoot 1/2-3/4". AMAX's and Scenars never seemed to shoot all that well. Gun seems to be really sensitive to seating depth.

Berger manual had Win 748 max load at 25.5gr and 2424fps out of a 24" barrel. Hit 26gr. with zero pressure signs and primers still have rounded edges with no ejector marks. I have heard the Berger manual may be a bit conservative but if my load breaks 2400 at 26gr. with the 130 VLD ballistic coefficient out of a mag fed gas gun and Grendel case I will consider that a huge win.

Will post the velocity this weekend when I get the chrono out...slapping myself for walking off and leaving it today.

Comment

thanks for info. I hate to badger you with questions, but what is your distance off the lands at 2.300" ? just curious, as im trying to compile data for different projos and and distance from lands for best accuracy in starting loads.

Thanks
              Richard

Comment

• closetohome

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                thanks for info. I hate to badger you with questions, but what is your distance off the lands at 2.300" ? just curious, as im trying to compile data for different projos and and distance from lands for best accuracy in starting loads.

Thanks
                Richard
                No worries. I knew somebody would ask. I am actually waiting on my OAL cartridge from Hornady to ship. I am also waiting on a 5/16-36 tap to get here as a plan B to just make my own case. I did however test a dummy round at 2.300" and it chambered fine with no marks on the bullets from the lands which tells me it is still jumping...just not sure how much. As soon as I can get an accurate OAL to the lands I will post that as well.

Comment

• closetohome

So here is something interesting. Barnes manual had the max load for Win 748 listed at 25.5gr and 2424fps. Was able to chrono 15 rounds today of my load at 26gr. with 130gr Berger seated at 2.300" figuring it would be in the 2400 range. Here were my results:

2148, 2162, 2164, 2149, 2153, 2153, 2159, 2163, 2172, 2164, 2161, 2170, 2156, 2170, 2147.

Accuracy for all 15 shots at 200yds was in the 1.4" range with mostly horizontal stringing due to windy conditions. So accuracy held with the VLD's but velocity was disappointing.

I thought it might have been my chronograph so I tested some factory loads. Here are those results:

130gr. Nosler Accubond (Precision Firearms load) - 2344, 2338, 2332
                  120gr. Nosler BT (AA load) - 2588, 2582, 2591, 2592, 2569
                  130gr. Swift Scirrocos (AA load) - 2376, 2405, 2414, 2410, 2411

My barrel is slightly slow but everything is within velocity spec for factory loaded ammo. Is the Berger manual that conservative? Misprint? Any thoughts.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2013, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Very conservative!

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

did you have any over pressure signs at your final charge weight of 26?

Comment

• closetohome

No pressure signs at 26g. Alexander Arms has Win 748 running up to 29gr. with the 129gr. SST on their load data so I know there is room to move up. My gun apparently likes the VLD so I might just work up to 29 and see what happens.

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

Originally posted by closetohome View Post
                          No pressure signs at 26g. Alexander Arms has Win 748 running up to 29gr. with the 129gr. SST on their load data so I know there is room to move up. My gun apparently likes the VLD so I might just work up to 29 and see what happens.
                          Be sure to keep us posted man, im trying to load some 130g accubonds with 8208

Comment

• closetohome

Originally posted by PumpActionJackson View Post
                            Be sure to keep us posted man, im trying to load some 130g accubonds with 8208
                            Will do...weather is predicted to be crappy here for the next few days so range time will be limited. At least it gives me some time to load.

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

Originally posted by closetohome View Post
                              Will do...weather is predicted to be crappy here for the next few days so range time will be limited. At least it gives me some time to load.
                              weather is crap in georgia too right now, a few solid days of rain ahead so i wont be shooting, are your loads compressing your powder? i keep thinking if velocity can be safely brought it this could be a pretty serious load

Comment

Working...
                              X