Reloading question to the more experienced reloaders.... 303 Brit bullets to 30-06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

Reloading question to the more experienced reloaders.... 303 Brit bullets to 30-06?

Hey, this is not a Grendel question but I needed to ask someone and I figured someone here might know... Thanks.

I have LOTS of old 1940's Pakistany 303 British ammo. The primers are shot and it wont even ignite most of the time; and its berdan crap...

Anyway I don't really know what to do with it since I also sold my Enfield some time back.

So I wondered if i pulled these bullets, could I load them up on 308 or 30-06 or even Ak 47 brass?

I know its a bit smaller in diameter and that I wont get the performance.... but what I really need to know is if it would it be safe and even advisable.

May face isn't the prettiest but I would prefer to keep it if possible!!! ha ha !

Thanks

Gene
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

I don't know how that would work. The number 8 Hornady shows .308 bullets being loaded in the 7.5 Swiss and 7.5 MAS. The 303 British is a 7.65/.311 diameter which is closer to 7.62/.308 than 7.5mm is. If it was me however I think I would call up a tech at Hornady or Sierra and ask them.

Comment

Bullet diameters for the .303 are larger than .308, like a Russian 7.62. If you pull the bullets, they will generate much higher pressures in the .30-06 using the load data for .308 pills, as more force will be required to swage them into the lands, like shooting a .264 through a .257 bore.

Comment

I could Pull them and load for my Enfield if you can't use them, willing to purchase if you need to get rid of them

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Bullet diameters for the .303 are larger than .308, like a Russian 7.62. If you pull the bullets, they will generate much higher pressures in the .30-06 using the load data for .308 pills, as more force will be required to swage them into the lands, like shooting a .264 through a .257 bore.
          I am having a hard time understanding you: Are you saying that I could load these atop some 30-06 brass provided I loaded them with less powder as if they were 308 to avoid extra high pressures? just want to be sure. Thanks.

Comment

No.

Don't load ex-military bullets from a 303 into ANY 308 calibre cartridge. They are 3 thou larger (.312 dia NOT .303) and this additional size is the only thing you will know about them with certainty. The Poms measured their calibre from rifling to rifling, not land to land.

You cannot say with any certainty what the internal composition of the bullets are. It is well known that Mk VII Ball has had a number of different metals inside the bullet. Some were aluminium/lead, some steel/lead, most lead/lead. Who knows what the Pakis loaded it with way back then?

Those bullets WILL work in a 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 and a 7.7 Jap cartridge. Technically also the 7.65 Mauser. In the 7.62x39 they probably won't stabilise very well as they will be around 174gn in weight, whist the 7.62x39 is usually chambered in barrels rifled for 123gn bullets.

Unless you have thousands of them, perhaps the best approach would be to put them in a deep hole covered with landfill, OR take them out to the 100ft line in the ocean and give them a swimming lesson.

Comment

I did a similar thing using surplus pulled 7.62x39mm bullets in my .300 Blackout. I purchased a Lee push-through .308 sizing die, poured a bit of case lube into a ziplock bag full of bullets, and then ran them through the sizing die. Works great for a cheap range bullet, but I wouldn't try it you need any level of consistent accuracy.

Comment

Working...
              X