Case Trimmer Pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Trimmer Pilot

Trying to put all the pieces together so I can finally start reloading Grendel ammo.

Quick question: Should I just use the same size pilot as on a 7.62x39 case?
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

The pilot goes into the mouth of the cartridge so No, the 7.62x39 case will use a 7.62 pilot while the Grendel will need a .264 pilot.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Dang, those seem to be hard to find!

Comment

• babaganoush
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

Perhaps you're confusing the case holder with the pilot, since both cases use similar sized holders. The pilots, on the other hand, will be significantly different, depending on the type of trimmer. 6.5 mm case mouths will not fit over the 7.62 pilot, whereas the reverse would be true. I personally would look for as close fitting pilot as possible. A 6mm pilot could do in a pinch, but you're risking introducing unevenness of the case mouth, should the case wander around the pilot. (That depends again, on the style of trimmer you use.)
        "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• Von Gruff
          Chieftain
          • Apr 2012

A 264 pilot wasn't locally available when I wanted one so for my imediate needs I used a 270 pilot and spun it in a drill dressing it down using 350 W&D till it fit inside a fired case then used 400 then 600 grit to fine it down till it was a nice fit in a sized case. Simple to do.
          http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
          Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Dogue
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

I'd contact the company that makes your trimmer, or check their website, to see if they have the .264 pilot (they should). I have the Lyman trimmer and had to order that piece separately.
            Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
            X