• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dogue
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MTNmyMAG View Post
    Do not powders that work with heavy 223/556 loads usually do ok in the Grendel? Hornady Loads their 75 gr OTM with "Superformance."
    The Superformance 5.56 load has speed but it is not known as an accurate round, so if they're using the Superformance powder then I'll pass. Many powders that work well in .223/5.56 also do well in the Grendel, but certainly not all. Varget is very popular in the smaller cartridge but not-so-much in the Grendel, although it is considered accurate it lacks velocity.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Joseph5
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

Hornady uses different blends of powder for their different Superformance loads. The Superformance powder that you can purchase is just one of them and the only one avaiable to the public.

Comment

I actually reverse engineered Hornady Superformance 6.5 Creedmoor loads with an eye towards potential 6.5 Grendel applications. What I found was that in the 6.5 Creedmoor the Superformance loads were highly compressed and that powder in the 6.5 Grendel produced anemic velocities, better suited for subsonic loads than typical hinting loads.
        Bob

Comment

• neandrakall

lr1955

Inappropriate.
          Last edited by bwaites; 09-20-2013, 04:27 AM. Reason: Inappropriate post.

Comment

• neandrakall

Lr1955 : thanks for the great advice, your reply helped me sooo much. And "superformance" is when performance isn't enough...and super performance only sounds weird!!! Some folks strive for the best and help others when they can rather than waste their time.

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by neandrakall View Post
              Has anybody loaded up any superformance loads that performed?
              Neandrakall

Hey I understand your question.

I am also pretty new to the forum as well and new to reloading the Grendel. Please don't take offence to any of the replys you get here. They are what they are!! Go over to Snipershide!! They are really bad over there!!

Depends what range you are shooting. I have only reloaded with 2 powders so far. Varget and AA 2520. My load is compressed with Varget so I am maxed out, so that may be a SUPERPERFORMANCE load like you said. I have shot 2 groups at 1/2" or less at 100 yds and sub MOA out to 300yds after only shooting it 4 times. The velocity is poor though so it won't work well out past 500 to 600 yds.

Now I am at 29.4 grains of AA 2520 and no where near the max but I am getting the velocity I require.
              What I believe you ment in your question is. "Are people loading to the max, getting the velocity and also shooting well"

I hope some of this helps.
              Last edited by lrgrendel; 09-20-2013, 04:01 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by neandrakall View Post
                Lr1955 : thanks for the great advice, your reply helped me sooo much. And "superformance" is when performance isn't enough...and super performance only sounds weird!!! Some folks strive for the best and help others when they can rather than waste their time.
                I'm sorry, are the last two comments directed at an answer from 5 months ago?

As you phrased and posted the question, it was unclear if you were asking about a load that someone had developed that was a superperformance (meaning exceptionally performing) load or were referring to the Hornady Superperformance loads, (which are capitalized because they are trademarked) LR1955 read it as the first.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  I'm sorry, are the last two comments directed at an answer from 5 months ago?

As you phrased and posted the question, it was unclear if you were asking about a load that someone had developed that was a superperformance (meaning exceptionally performing) load or were referring to the Hornady Superperformance loads, (which are capitalized because they are trademarked) LR1955 read it as the first.
                  Bill I think you need to go back and reread the very first post just one more time and this time pay really close attention to the spelling used by the OP. No where did he ask for a "Superperformance load". What he asked for was a "Superformance" load. Hornady sells Superformance powder. There is no such critter as "Superperformance" powder.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by earl39 View Post
                    Bill I think you need to go back and reread the very first post just one more time and this time pay really close attention to the spelling used by the OP. No where did he ask for a "Superperformance load". What he asked for was a "Superformance" load. Hornady sells Superformance powder. There is no such critter as "Superperformance" powder.
                    Earl:

What Bill said is how I read it. And, I think the question has been answered.

Not stopping you from providing your experience with Superformance powders and the Grendel. If you have some info about such loads -- feel free to post them.

LR1955

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by earl39 View Post
                      earl39, I think you need to go back and read the original. His question specified superformance, small "s". That is not a trademarked name, its either a mispelling of superperformance or nothing. "superformance" with a small "s" isn't even a word. It only becomes a word when the "S" is capitalized, indicating trademarked powder

He then says..... And "superformance" is when performance isn't enough....once again not capitalizing the "S" and confusing the issue even more.

Thus, I questioned which he meant. Yes, I inadvertantly added the extra "per" into the word as well, mostly because by that point I was confused about what he wanted, too!
                      Last edited by bwaites; 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Not really. I tried two powders that work in .223 but the burning rate is not quite right for the Grendel. Benchmark for one. In my gun doesn't seem to have enough gas for reliable functioning. I haven't found anything better than H335 yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X