107 grain sierra match king

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 107 grain sierra match king

Does anyone have experience shooting this projectile and if so what are your experiences with it? I couldn't find any specific threads dealing with this bullet so I am posting a new thread. Thanks for your input.

I have some ladder test batches loaded up with CFE under 107's, so I'll know soon enough. There is a lot of factory load data for it in the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook from AA (8 different loads), Hodgdon's (6 loads), Accurate (1 load with A2230), and Ramshot (X-Terminator).

BL-C(2), H335, TAC, and IMR XBR 8208 produced the highest velocities of all the powders when measured in pressure-test devices and 24" barrels from the above manufacturers, with TAC and BL-C(2) producing 2730fps from a 24" barrel. H335 and XBR maxed out in the mid-high 2600's at around 2650-2677fps.

Looks like BL-C(2) and TAC would be my first choices to work with, but we'll see what CFE does.

Comment

I got the reloaders manual from www.AR15buildbox.com. I also have a yearly subscription to www.loaddata.com. I haven't been reloading for long and I haven't attempted any sort of "accurate" test of ammo I reload. I figure I can take your results and then do my own testing from recommendations in this thread etc. I have reloaded the 95 grain vmax bullets and like those alot. 120 grain nosler balistic tips were recommended for deer hunting. I guess the problem is that I don't have a any logical method set up yet for testing my loads and not wasting money. As you all have said here before. I need a mentor. lol.

Comment

Not trying to hijack the thread but what's up fellow KCK'er.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

28.5 grains of XBR8208 gives me sub 1/2" groups.

Rifle is a Grendel Sniper, 28" barrel, though mine is topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22: Fewer than 30 rounds downrange, but looking for a good 600 yard load. It wasn't real happy with Amax's, though sub MOA at 100 yards when loaded over 29 grains of TAC. I tried Sierra 107's over XBR 29 grains, and got very

Start at about 27 grains, and work up by .3 grain increments. As you can see from that thread, although 29 grains showed no pressure signs, it was not as accurate. Most people seem to settel between 28-29 grains.
          Last edited by bwaites; 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Will do bwaites. I think I used xbr8208 for the 95g. vmax bullets. I also have BLC2 which is listed in the 6.5 Grendel reloading manual.

Greetings 6.5City. Nice to see someone from my neck of the woods on this website.

Comment

The Sierra 107 over 30 grains of BL-C(2) and a CCI primer gave me the tightest 5-round group I ever shot with a gun--one ragged hole at 100, about 1/4". This was out of a Les Baer tube with the .264 LBC chamber. However, I haven't tried the bullet at distance, and I probably won't given that the 123 grain bullets from Sierra and Hornady have better BC. I used to be concerned with velocity until I shot in heavy wind. Now I'll take BC over speed every time (within reason).

Comment

If the velocity is enough to edge a lower BC over a higher BC, then it has merits, like with the 108gr Scenar, or the 155gr Scenar versus the 168gr & 175gr SMK's. It usually requires a significant velocity difference though, like in the .308, the 155gr Scenar at 2850fps beats the 175gr SMK at 2500fps.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  If the velocity is enough to edge a lower BC over a higher BC, then it has merits, ...
                  I hadn't thought about that, but now I'm curious enough to run numbers on the 107 vs. the 140 for my Creedmoor, particularly if the drop in bullet weight results in a little less felt recoil.

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ss355 View Post
                    I hadn't thought about that, but now I'm curious enough to run numbers on the 107 vs. the 140 for my Creedmoor, particularly if the drop in bullet weight results in a little less felt recoil.
                    With my Creedmoor, I can feel a small difference between 140's and 123's using the same powder (4350). Shooting the 123's with a faster powder (Varget), the recoil is quite noticeably less. The 107's from the CM are probably very mild, but I wonder about reliability in a gas gun. Might be a non-issue though...
                    Drifter

Comment

Working...
                    X