Processing & Analyzing Brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processing & Analyzing Brass

I have a piece of brass from a few years ago where there was a definite ridge in the area just above the extractor groove, where brass had flowed, forming a rim-like protrusion around the case:

If you were to run your fingernail along the case wall, you would hit an unmistakeable ridge. I pulled this piece of brass from the population and set it aside. Today, I decided to section it to see if my culling was necessary.

I put on my safety glasses, mounted it in my vice, and proceeded to cut it with a thin cutting wheel. Being a human and prone to error, I soon learned that this piece of brass that I thought had a dead primer, in fact had a live primer. Imagine my surprise when the blast impacted my face, and a voice whispered to me, "Good thing you had your glasses on...you were prepared."

I have a friend, now passed away, who had a fragment fly into his eye while working inside a Russian ZIL truck with the small arms repair module area on back. The Russian hospitals weren't so great to him, and he lived his remaining days with a patch over that destroyed eye. Please wear eye protection when dealing with primers, cutting tools, or anything that could be potentially dangerous to your eyesight. I added another notch of hearing loss to my existing tinnitus, but my eyes are fine because I wore safety glasses. I could have kept this story to myself, but if it persuades just one person to make changes to their safety procedures, I'll be happy.

After that wake-up call, I got this:

From this endeavor, I concluded that the ridge probably wasn't a big issue and I could have used this piece again as long as it would have chambered and extracted ok. I could be wrong, as God and you all know.

Here is some of the brass I recently ran through the vibratory polisher. The band is higher up on the case wall, so I'm going to section one of these as well:

My biggest concern is the potential for case head separation.

very good pics. keep us posted on the results

Comment

• babaganoush
      Warrior
      • Jan 2013

Great information, and especially glad to know you had proper eyewear. I firmly believe that eye protection should always be worn, when handling primers. I've never experienced a premature detonation (unlike Achmed, the Dead Terrorist) but I have had debris strike my eye protection when using rotary tools. While so-called modern medicine is capable of a great many things, it generally cannot restore hearing damage or loss of eyesight. My Tinitus has been with me for almost twenty years now, and what I wouldn't give to go back and avoid some of the stupid things I did which damaged my hearing. I'll be darned, if I'm going to risk my eyesight, too.
      "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

I've been lucky in that none of my firearms case ruptures, broken bolts, etc. has tested my eyewear, but I'm sure to use it anytime I have a small explosive device placed within 12" of so of my face.

I am surprised, however, at how many people use weedeaters, lawn edgers, power drills, dremels, and even lawn mowers without eye protection. I can't count the times a weedeater or lawn mower has picked something up, bounced it off a fence or the house or a rock, and smacked be in the face!

I know of at least 2 instances where I would have lost some eyesight.

Wear eye protection and ear protection people!

LRRPF52, glad to hear that you are still intact! Now, get back to work!

Comment

• ericv
          Warrior
          • Oct 2011

I had a primer detonate while installing it, sure makes your pucker muscle pucker
          Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
          www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

• babaganoush
            Warrior
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ericv View Post
            I had a primer detonate while installing it, sure makes your pucker muscle pucker
            Where you using the 12 or 16 oz primer installation mallet?
            "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I have that band on every piece of brass that I resized for my 65. I've never had that on anything else I reload. Could it be from using RCBS LBC dies?

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Spadi_5 View Post
                I have that band on every piece of brass that I resized for my 65. I've never had that on anything else I reload. Could it be from using RCBS LBC dies?
                I've used Lee and Redding bushing dies, and all my brass looks like that too. It's not a function of the dies, I don't think.

I've had more than 20 reloads on some of my Lapua brass, so I don't think it hurts anything.

Comment

• babaganoush
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  I've had more than 20 reloads on some of my Lapua brass, so I don't think it hurts anything.
                  Bill,

Do you anneal your cases and, if so, how often?

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by babaganoush View Post
                    Bill,

Do you anneal your cases and, if so, how often?
                    Nope. When I was using the Lee dies, I would lose 5-10 cases per 100 to neck splits each time I reloaded after 10 times or so. With the Redding bushing dies, I haven't seen any split necks in a while.

I have a lot more brass now, so I don't reload my cases so often, but I still have some with 20 reloads in the rotation.

I'm convinced that the 50,000 PSI pressure limitation is easy on the brass, and Lapua brass is awful good. I have brass that has been shot so many times that your can barely read the headstamp, yet it resizes just fine. I've had one casehead rupture, and that round was probably a defective piece of brass, as it had been reloaded only once, and the same load demonstrated no pressure signs in 99 other rounds loaded at the same time.

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Make sure you use eye protection when cleaning your firearms. I was taking apart my sti pistol without eye protection and the recoil retaining plug shot out and hit my eye brow leaving a gash that took me to the emergency room . If it would have hit my eye I would now be a one eye shooter. This was a close call that made me a believer. I went to harbor freight and purchased a lot of inexpensive eye protection glasses and have them strategically placed where ever eye protection is needed.

Comment

• Y85
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2012

LR52,
                        Glad you're ok. Thanks for sharing the story.

Comment

I've been badly nearsighted since birth so I have had to wear glasses continuously. I have had my eyesight saved many times by simply having my glasses on. A chemistry experiment gone bad left my face burned for weeks, but my eyesight was untouched. A concrete nail stuck right in the center of my left glasses lens when it popped back from a slab. Boy, bottle rockets really move fast and are hard to duck too. Their have been lots of times I didn't mind being called four eyes.

Working in an ER you see so many tragic eye injuries that could have been easily prevented. A bb in the middle of the eyeball, flash burns from an electrical panel, iron chips stuck in the cornea (often show up with rust rings around the chip if left overnight). Lots of corneal abrasions and foreign bodies that look so small but hurt like hades unchained.

I guess the absolute worst was a brother who, having not listened to his big head had a bit of urban justice enacted on him while he slept. The seemingly wronged damsel used a lye slurry to make her feelings known..... eyeballs look amazingly like little hard boiled eggs under such treatment. Sorry, seemed to have drifted off subject a bit. Anyway, think bout them eyes.

Alex

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Alex4922 View Post
                            I've been badly nearsighted since birth so I have had to wear glasses continuously. I have had my eyesight saved many times by simply having my glasses on. A chemistry experiment gone bad left my face burned for weeks, but my eyesight was untouched. A concrete nail stuck right in the center of my left glasses lens when it popped back from a slab. Boy, bottle rockets really move fast and are hard to duck too. Their have been lots of times I didn't mind being called four eyes.

Working in an ER you see so many tragic eye injuries that could have been easily prevented. A bb in the middle of the eyeball, flash burns from an electrical panel, iron chips stuck in the cornea (often show up with rust rings around the chip if left overnight). Lots of corneal abrasions and foreign bodies that look so small but hurt like hades unchained.

I guess the absolute worst was a brother who, having not listened to his big head had a bit of urban justice enacted on him while he slept. The seemingly wronged damsel used a lye slurry to make her feelings known..... eyeballs look amazingly like little hard boiled eggs under such treatment. Sorry, seemed to have drifted off subject a bit. Anyway, think bout them eyes.

Alex
                            Roger that. I see at least one eye injury per weekend shift in Urgent Care, though your lye story made me shiver! Not once have I had to treat anyone for an eye injury that was wearing eye protection, though I've had plenty of lacerations above and below the protection that would have been catastrophic if eye protection wasn't in place.

Comment

• rickOshay
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2012

Happy you're ok - I admit that I did not notice the live primer in your first picture.

Comment

Working...
                              X