• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Non Grendel Question

I've been stocking up on Grendel reloading supplies for a little while but I've yet to reload any yet. I want to get comfortable reloading 45 ACP and potentially 556 too, before I start reloading for my Grendel.

It's been a slow learning process as I haven't had much free time in the past 9 months.

Anyways I'm either making a mistake in flairing my brass or I have a problem with my dies. Everything I've seen, the bullet slides into the brass to some degree after flairing. I'm not experiencing this, the bullet will only sit on top of the brass until I seat it. I've tried flairing to the point the die contacts the shell holder to lightly flairing the brass with the same results.

I'm using RCBS 3-Die Carbide Set (.45 Automatic (ACP)).

I've tried working with RP and Winchester brass.

I've tried Nosler 230 gr FMJ, 230 gr JHP, and Hornady 185 gr XTP.

I know this isn't Grendel related, but I respect the opinions on here. However, I'm justifying it as this is leading up to me reloading Grendel. HaHa

Thanks in advance!!!
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • Michael
    Warrior
    • Jan 2012

Corry - What kind of press are you using - single stage or turent/progressive? When you seat the bullets, are you getting brash shavings? If you are, you need to flare a little more. I had the same issue when I started reloading .45 and 9mm. Had to play with the dies to get the flare right. I am using Redding dies and a single stage press, but I am assuming they are similar in function to the RCBS dies and a progressive press. The expander plug on the Reddings is an internal adjustment, and should be adjusted once the die is in contact with the shell holder. My bullets set in the brass just a little once I have them expanded/fared correctly.

Of note, I don't trim my pistol brass, so some rounds are flared more/less than others. Tried to get my expander set for a happy medium, but always have a couple that aren't quite there.

Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-24-2013, 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling error
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
    - Voltaire

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Michael I'm using the RCBS Rock Chucker single stage. I've adjusted my die to both extremes and everywhere in between and the bullet won't set in the brass until I seat it. And yes I am getting brash shaving about 25% of the time.

Comment

• Michael
        Warrior
        • Jan 2012

OK...same press I'm using...again, not familiar with RCBS dies...remedial action time...pulled the expander out of my die... measures.448ish after the first incline (slips into casing), .454ish after second (flaring area), third (above flaring area) is .479is. You could check yours...should be similar. If not, maybe have the wrong expander?

Hopefully someone more experienced than me will reply with some better tips.
        I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
        - Voltaire

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Expander? My flairing die didn't come with an expander in it. I'm wondering if I shouldn't remove the insert from my seating die and use that. I'm about 5 minutes away from chunking these things and picking up a set of hornady dies.

Thanks Michael!

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

So it looks like I had the seating die and the flairing die confused. Heaven forbid they put them in the case in the sequence they're going to be used.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

I was going to say bi reload with the same set you have and the same press. And my .45 never gives me trouble. You also know that the seating die has different "seaters" based on round nose wad cutter or hollow point. ??

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

brandon are you talking about the 2 inserts that came in the plastic packaging. I was wondering what the significance was to those. I didn't know if it was that or if they were for a different type of 45 i.e. GAP. I searched and wasn't able to find anything explaining the difference.

Thanks!

Comment

I always flare my 45 acp brass. The trick is to determine the least amount of flare needed.

Cheers, Will

Comment

I use a Lee Universal Expanding Die. It is tapered with no steps so you can get exactly the flare you need to match the bullet style you are seating. You want the least you can get by with so you work the brass less.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

Originally posted by cory View Post
                      brandon are you talking about the 2 inserts that came in the plastic packaging. I was wondering what the significance was to those. I didn't know if it was that or if they were for a different type of 45 i.e. GAP. I searched and wasn't able to find anything explaining the difference.

Thanks!
                      yeah they should be marked with the intials on them something like RN (round nose) or something simliar but that is for seating different bullet types in the .45 auto i would not use them in another die set ( your example of the GAP) yeah once you get that flare set right you should be golden

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Potential Problem

So I loaded 40 Nosler 230 gr JHPs trying to develop a load.

When I finished I pulled 3 bullets I used for adjusting my die for a 1.228 coal.

The bullets had a serious indention in them when they were pulled. It goes from .454 to an indention to .450. I seated another bullet to see if the bullets I just loaded would have that problem and it had the same indention when I pulled it. I've attached a picture of it.

Is this normal or have I done something wrong and I need to reload this brass and trash the bullets?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X