COL for Nosler 123g Custom Competition BTHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COL for Nosler 123g Custom Competition BTHP

What COL are you guys using for this bullet?

nevermind..found it in another thread - 2.250 from nosler tech

Comment

You really need to find out what your chamber will allow by measuring it yourself, 2.250" OAL using the 123 NCC may be too long for your chamber as it is for mine. I can load the NCCs to a max of 2.235". The OAL will be different for various projectiles and chamber dimensions (Leade).

Here you can see the Leade of a sectioned 5.56 barrel.

And here you will find a very easy and cheap method for measuring OAL for your chamber
      OAL Jump

Comment

• Dogue
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

I load them to 2.230. I tested several and had some variations with the shortest being 2.253 in my AA chamber.
        Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I have one of these coming

Anyone ever used one?

Comment

I've used them. Listen carefully to what he says at 2:33 and you will understand that the tool is really best for single-fed rifles, not magazine-fed, because the maximum COL allowed will usually be longer than the magazine.

In the AR15/Grendel, the exception is with bullets that have a shorter radiused tangent ogive nose shape, like the new 130gr Sierra Game King Hollow Point, the Nosler Custom Competition, and the 120gr AMAX.

Comment

So, the mag may limit your wanted adjustment lenght of COL. Ok, so what do you do if that restriction keeps you further away from the lands than you would like to be?
              Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• babaganoush
                Warrior
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by rushmc View Post
                So, the mag may limit your wanted adjustment lenght of COL. Ok, so what do you do if that restriction keeps you further away from the lands than you would like to be?
                Your choices are modified magazines (assuming that gives you enough clearance) or single feed.
                "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I have lengthened a few mags. , and, shortened & redefined the poly tips-with no loss in accuraccy. I can run 2.32 ammo in one mag., with stock tips, and to 2.40 in another.
                  The goal on the last one was to maybe try the Grendel GM-in my AR, (with shortened tips) as I had a small bit in it's creation= Von Gruff picked my brain clean one boring day. I told him that I was thinking of the idea of the 6mmTurbo chamber-yet in 6.5. --To approach the 6.5BR ballistics.
                  It may be do-able. Accuracy? Who knows? I found a nice quality bbl.-cheap at ahlmans-90 mi. s. of me. We'll see.

BTW-I shot a tight group 3 yrs. ago-95 GMX-my own version of the 120, a dime covered the group at 200yds. The tips were filed down flat after being loaded to 2.31-using a hand file.
                  The tip is not as critical as most think-as long as it's concentric -true. Not worried about shooting at 1000yd. w/ any bullet-most of us never will. Somebody has to be the mythbuster!?

Good fun getting Blade mad-he works at Federal Ammo-he used to read to me from the Fed. bible of bullet tweaks-then he just gave up-after shooting w/ me at the range=hee-hee!

Blade is an aspiring gunsmithy-we still may get a reamer made. Anyone interested if we do?
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 03-09-2013, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

123 Nos custom===Ooops, forgot, I loaded mine @ 2.220------yet check Your chamber!

Same as the 123sst-every-well some guys -thought that they could load to rjstokes oal==no way horhay!

I was shocked that 2.230 was max w/ the 123 sst. in mine== They took the train to Stubbville on that unit!!!!

Comment

• hill.brandonj

Man. I can get my CC 123g no problem set at 2.250

Comment

• hill.brandonj

I hope that's normal anyway. I've shot plenty of them without trouble. Fit the oal gague finally and I'll check it out this weekend

Comment

Thanks everyone
                          As usually I learned a lot here today

Comment

Working...
                          X