• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fshaw
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2023

129gr ABLR Load

I’m working up a load for 129gr ABLRs. Just got done shooting, tried 30.0gr of LVR, approx 4” “group”. Shot another group with 8208 that was approx 1.5” so getting closer. What bullet jump are you guys shooting with ABLRs? I know that all rifles are individuals and that I need to do base to ogive tests but trying to save as many components as possible. Curious if most are finding success closer to lands or with a bigger jump.

Anyone have a powder that they love for that bullet, it ain’t Lever for me. I have just under a pound of 8208 which will get me through this fall, 748, BL-C2, 322, Varget, and others. Have researched online extensively so looking for first hand experience. Would look for a pound of AR Comp but would prefer to stay with published data. Got to 30 gr of Lever through Hodgdon and Hornady’s Grendel data and data on 6ARC bolt/gas guns. Rifle is a 22” Howa Mini that grouped sub 1” with a random 123gr ELDM load using 4198 put together for barrel break-in so the rifle has potential.

Thanks.

Frank
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Mine right now, for AR and for my 22" howa, is 2.280. You won't have enough shank in the neck for stability if you try to get real close to lands, mine hit lands at 2.411". To stay in the mag you'll be at about 2.285-90... max.
    Nowadays my best loads are from Xbr and ArComp. ArC is at my lgs so I can get more but have plenty right now, and still doing fine on Xbr stash. CFE is also a good powder, IIRC I didn't like Lever with them either.
    Powder loads depend on the lot# of course, I've had some vary by 0.5 gr lot to lot. Xbr can spike quickly above 28.0 grs.
    CFE, I've gone up to 30.8 and that was a good load for my rifle, Xbr 27.2-28.0 depending on the lot#, ArComp runs typically ~1 gr less than Xbr, mine 26.4. Always work up. With a 22" you should be able to get 2400-2450 even maybe 2500 and stay under acceptable pressures. I found nodes around 2400 and ~2490.
    Nice thing about the Ablr is it's BC plus it opens down to 1300 fps, so these alone give you some nice range. Max-max speed is not always needed.
    Always start low and work up. If you want to conserve on components, do a single-load ladder over the range, 0.3 grs per shot, and plot it in excel to find the best fit of MV vs grains -- powder in theory should behave linearly within typical use ranges, not too empty and not real compressed. Then zero in on these node areas for MV, then vary OAL by 0.010 to find the best group.
    I can't afford to shoot 50-100 bullets, like the Utube guys, at one time either, so I've adapted this method for me.
    Use a chrony so you find the MVs.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

CFE223 30 to 30.6 all shot very close to the same when I was doing load workup for the Berger 130gr OTM 30.6 won out for same accuracy with a little more velocity. Got some 129gr LRABs and just tried same load to start in the CZ custom and they shot into 5/8 at 100 yards and under 2 inches for me at 325 yards and called it good enough for me. 2.28 inches fit the mag so that is what I worked with. 2.26 works as well with same powder charge in the AR and within published data.

For your Howa you could load hotter for sure up to 58k or so on pressure but I like the Grendel like it was designed to be mild mannered accurate cartridge. But I have the option of fast 6.5s if I want in 264 Win and 6.5X284 so those are better at pushing things fast if I want.

Comment

• bmash
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2022

H4895 worked best for me, but this is in an AR. I use 26.3gr of H4895, R7.5, 2.26 coal, with an 18” Lilja barrel.

Comment

• Kosh65
          Warrior
          • Jan 2021

I found N540 to work the best for that particular bullet in my rifle, which is a custom build Rem.700. The hotter I pushed them, the tighter they grouped and surprisingly produced the lowest SD.

I should mention that I have a longer throat than SAAMI so I’m not having to seat them too far into the case. I’m also not restricted by Mag/box length.

Comment

• trubulator
            Warrior
            • Aug 2022

26.0 grains of H4895 works well for me.

Comment

• grendelnubi
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

26.9 grains of ARComp groups best for me. My jump is 217 thousands and I have shot it to 500 yards with no issues impacting a 5" moa plate.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
                26.9 grains of ARComp groups best for me. My jump is 217 thousands and I have shot it to 500 yards with no issues impacting a 5" moa plate.
                What barrel and chamber is that?
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grendelnubi
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

That is an Odin Works 18" DMR. Claim to be SAAMI spec. Never verified however. Also I miss represented the jump, it is actually 137 thousands.
                  Last edited by grendelnubi; 09-07-2024, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• HighDesertDrifter
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2024

At about 3:50 feller from nosler and randy discuss bullet construction and seating depth. Food for thought if nothing else. I'm a fan of the ablr terminal performance after taking a cow elk with it last winter, but not as big a fan of the accuracy from factory loading. As such I'm going to be working on load this winter when my home temps match my hunting conditions. I'm getting a COAL of 2.25 on the factory load and they list the factory velocity at 2350. I only have lever at the moment but planning to give loading out to 2.285 a go.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

The best article I've seen on seating depth is from the PRS blog on "Does seating length matter" (something like that, chasing lands is not the only strategy, especially in PRS shooting)). We're not (at least I'm not) a competition, sub-sub-moa single-hole type of shooter (for those who are you can disregard all this if you like), rather a shooter, hunter and one who wants a seating depth that will remain fairly constant over many many shots. The 6.5's don't have the throat wear of the 6's nor do I shoot 200 rounds in a sitting........ so this PRS thing really helped me a lot. Basically they found for most bullets, that there is a "range" of depths where accuracy stays very good (as opposed to ultimate best) over a lot - probably hundreds - of rounds. 60-75 thou off the lands. Now this is for most bullets (admittedly maybe not Bergers), and for AR's we usually don't have that luxury of being that close to lands (Ablr for mine hit lands at 2.4xx+), so we're more limited by mag length. So once I find the MV that sits in a node at basically speeds I need, then I tweak by adjusting OALs, for the best group.
                      For the Ablr in grendels this has been around 2.280, lilja, howa-stock, and now the preferred barrels (on the howa). Others of course may find a different OAL for themselves.

I roger that a mfr will seat so that their round is within Saami limits... but that does not make it the best OAL, only the most legal.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

I'm running it over 30.0gr of CFE 223 getting ~2300fps from my 16" with a 0.145" JtL and ~2150fps from my 11.5" with a 0.156" JtL. Looking over my notes, I started seeing pressure signs at 31.0grs. I'd advise to stay below that and approach it with caution.
                        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• HighDesertDrifter
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2024

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                          I roger that a mfr will seat so that their round is within Saami limits... but that does not make it the best OAL, only the most legal.
                          +1

Comment

• gldprimr
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2016

Frank,
                            As always start at a lower powder charge and work up to this maximum charge. What’s safe in my rifle may not be in yours. That out of the way, see below.

I’m using a load of 31.0 gr. Shooters World Match Rifle over CCI 450 primer in new Starline brass with 129 gr. Nosler ABLR loaded to an OAL of 2.260” . This load gives me an average velocity of 2620 fps at 15’ from muzzle per Oehler 35P with standard deviation of 5.4. This is out of my CZ-527 with 24” barrel. This is ‘THE’ load I’ve settled on for my hunting with my 6.5 Grendel. It’s as fast or faster than I can reasonably expect for the 6.5 Grendel, more accurate than I am and kills far out of proportion to my previous experience with larger cartridges. I hope the information is of use to you.

Norman

Comment

Working...
                            X