• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

V4,
    I realize this may be a little like apples and oranges, but, with Winchester StaBALL MATCH I got a good group at 32.0gr. with the 100gr. ELD-M. velocity was 2672 avg. 22" bbl on the RAG2P. That's almost 2 gr. less than CFE223 so the powder compression is likely not as severe as CFE223 with the ELD-VT. winchester staball match is easily available in this neck of the woods. Hope that helps.
    -tdbru

Comment

• v4lu3s
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2023

Best test group today.
      100g ELD VT 31.9g LVR. 2.28" OAL (7.62x39 ASC and Duramag are ok with that length)
      2780 max
      2754 min
      2762 avg
      11.4 SD

Tried same load with 123g eld m...too much pressure, VERY sticky ectraction! Grouping was decent at 2" but i bet that dropping the powder charge will help accuracy and cure pressure issues.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by v4lu3s; 08-14-2024, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

I shot some TAC today. Both targets are 31.2 grains @2.240. One is shot with 2X shot Starline, the other with 7x shot Lapua. These are the best of the day. I'd say the average of my TAC loads are around 1.1 MOA. Again, from my 22" BHW barrel with .264 LBC chambering.

ELD_VT TAC Lapua.jpg

ELD_VT TAC SL.jpg
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• v4lu3s
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2023

The TAC looks like it is working really well. Really great velocity as well!

My test session today ended too quickly. I had loaded 15 rounds at 31.7g of LVR and a near 2.28" oal.

I decided to also shoot my 13.9" barrel as well and see what factory loads it liked, and since I had 5 Hornady loads and 3 AAC loads I was going to shoot it first. My first 5 shots were to be 123g ELD M factory ammo. first 2 shots were normal 2350-2370 fps, 3rd was just over 2000 fps. 4th had no reading, sounded WAY off and felt way off. I noticed a slightly coppery streak on my Magnetospeed bayonet. I then slid an alignment rod into my suppressor and it stopped.... took the suppressor off and found at least 2 baffles destroyed, a circumferential crack at the second baffle. At that point no handload testing was done, but I did go ahead and finish the 5 shots with each factory load through the 13.9, and everything shot about 1.25-2 moa. My suppressor is on its way back to YHM for warranty (hopefully), but more likely a costly repair. I cannot say that 6.5 Grendel ELD M has been a good bullet for me.

Comment

• mulyhuntr
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2024

Doesn't seem the juice is worth the squeeze with the 100eldvt. Ran up to 32gr lvr and got 5 shot average of 2651. Interestingly, 31.1 has the same avg velocity. The 107smk was 2668 at 31.7gr lvr and beats the 100eldvt ballistically.

18" Odin barrel

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

v4lu,

What's the twist rate on the barrel?

QL predicts 2440fps from a 13.9" barrel.
              31.7gns of LVR is 116% case full at 2.28"OAL.
              Only 83% of the powder will be burnt by the time the bullet starts into the suppressor.

That is a highly compressed load and surprising you even got the bullet seated. Plus there is a lot of unburnt powder spewing into that suppressor and igniting. Turning your can into a combustion engine can't be good, even if it doesn't throw the bullet off axis. Maybe that's what happened, the turbulence of the burn inside the suppressor threw the bullet off axis. The twist rate will tell us whether the bullet is inherently stable leaving the barrel. The usual suspect with baffle strikes is of course the can coming loose.

Comment

• mulyhuntr
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                v4lu,

What's the twist rate on the barrel?

QL predicts 2440fps from a 13.9" barrel.
                31.7gns of LVR is 116% case full at 2.28"OAL.
                Only 83% of the powder will be burnt by the time the bullet starts into the suppressor.

That is a highly compressed load and surprising you even got the bullet seated. Plus there is a lot of unburnt powder spewing into that suppressor and igniting. Turning your can into a combustion engine can't be good, even if it doesn't throw the bullet off axis. Maybe that's what happened, the turbulence of the burn inside the suppressor threw the bullet off axis. The twist rate will tell us whether the bullet is inherently stable leaving the barrel. The usual suspect with baffle strikes is of course the can coming loose.
                31.7 LVR with the 100eldvt is not compressed. I've run to 32 with no pressure and no seating issues.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

muly,

I don't doubt you. I've been using 8208 and not LVR.

My measured bullet dimensions entered into QL are
                  100ELD VT - Copy.jpg

I see Hogdon does not list it as compressed at 31.3gn and 2.245" OAL so something is out with my calculations.

Comment

• mulyhuntr
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2024

muly,

I don't doubt you. I've been using 8208 and not LVR.

My measured bullet dimensions entered into QL are
                    100ELD VT - Copy.jpg

I see Hogdon does not list it as compressed at 31.3gn and 2.245" OAL so something is out with my calculations.
                    I hadn't seen their load data. I've been slowly working up. Looks like I have some room to run from 32gr!

Comment

• Zeneffect
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2020

Klem,

its quickload that is off. in general, I find 110% in quickload (with lvr only) is actually 100% full, and is really close to where i want to be. I dont think they have their kernel size set correctly in the software. unless you adjusted the kernel size that it calculates from its probably not your measurements that throw the case fill calculation off.

32gr will be compressed. measure the cbto and you will find it grew a thou or 2. it wont get crunchy like an extruded powder. as far as pressure.. should be fine, might get better as you compress. compression modifies the burn rate to be faster, which would be more suitable for this bullet.

I guess i will have to pick up a box of 100 to see how they fare vs the the 105 sierras. I really really like those sierras so its a very high bar to beat. My suspicion is, that it wont shoot as well im because comparing hornady vs sierra.
                      Last edited by Zeneffect; 09-04-2024, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Mate, I think you are right. I had my suspicions that it was maybe a newer formulation of LVR but did not want to go straight to blaming the tools when it could be me.

What I can contribute is my own [incomplete] testing. I am getting extremely good groups so there is no issue with bullet accuracy. Including DNS' fascinating necroscopies and early online banter it seems this bullet is hit and miss on flesh (as a varmint bullet). One theory is that the bullet void is so long that if the tip impacts the lead core early enough it gives the expected fragmentation. But if not it 'pencils' through the animal like a FMJ. I don't have the Sierra 105 yet but that also looks well-suited for this calibre. My plan is to concentrate on lightweight bullets for as much speed as possible out Grendel's small case.

From a 19" match barrel using 8208 at 2.275"OAL. 4rds at each 1% increment. Hodgdon recommends up to 29.3 is acceptable and I trust them more than Quickload given they would have actually done and measured it. The linear velocity/load assumption in my own prediction is flakey of course, as we know once powder is compressed it changes. 29.3gn 8208 by this prediction is 2,630fps but it'll be compressed, so I expect higher.

100VT 8208 .jpg

Velocities by Garmin and group sizes by OnTarget. Rifle bench rested; target at 100yds.

Looks like Hodgdon has done a wide range of powder testing with this new bullet. And they have a few powders in stock.
                        H - Copy.jpg

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Looks like Hodgdon has done a wide range of powder testing with this new bullet. And they have a few powders in stock.
                          Looking at this data, I see my original work up with Accurate 2520 was way below maximum. I had stopped at 31.5 last time, so that were I picked up. Five rounds in .3 grain increments all the way to the max of 32.8. The same 22" Blackhole Weaponry .264 LBC barrel. No pressure signs.

ELD_VT 2520_b.jpg
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

That Hodgdon’s 100gr ELD-VT data is really new. I check it all the time and it wasn’t there not too long ago. There’s another bullet in there I haven’t heard of either, so 33 new loads on Hodgdon’s.

Looks like 8208XBR would be the main accuracy and speed combo to beat, as they got 2818fps with it from a 24” pipe, not exceeding 50,600psi.

They got 2900fps with CFE223 as well.

Looks like a BHW 12” barrel would spit that 32.8gr load out at 2591fps. That’s insane.

Might be something to that chamber and bore for speed.
                            Last edited by LRRPF52; 09-07-2024, 04:38 PM.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                            X