X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

I gathered some loading data from Hornady, Sierra and Hodgdon and five powders and headed out to the reloading room. Based primarily on what I saw in the Sierra data for a 107 SMK max load, I loaded
    4, 5 or 6 rounds, each with a different charge weight. I did this primarily to get velocity readings. Even though I went .2 or .3 over the published 107 SMK max, the velocities were mild and the brass looked fine. I think there’s head room with every one of the powders. I got no where near the velocities LRRPF52 projects are possible with a 22” barrel.

The barrel for all testing is a Black Hole Weaponry 22” chambered in .264 LBC.

Here’s the control group: 31.2 grains of CFE under a Nosler CC123 @ 2.245”. Starline brass and a CCI #41. .85” group at 2644 fps.
    A1 control.jpg

Here’s Accurate 2520. The flyer is the lowest charge, 30.3
    2520.jpg

Attached Files
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Again, the barrel is a Black Hole Weaponry 22" chamber in .264 LBC

Here’s H335. Again, the flyer is the lowest charge of 28.2
      H335.jpg

I only loaded 4 round of LVR and then had to take an extended break (20 mins) between shots 2 and 3 as the range when cold. Two distinct groups.
      LVR.jpg

Paul Peloquin

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

I don't know what the heck happened with TAC.
        TAC.jpg

This is six shot group with 8202 XBR. Adjusted the Magnetospeed after failures to read on the first two shots.
        XBR.jpg
        Last edited by biodsl; 08-01-2024, 01:37 AM.
        Paul Peloquin

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

In taking a closer look at the brass from yesterday, I see what might be the *slightest* ejector mark on the number '5' with the 29.1 XBR load. Going from 28.7 grains to 29.1 gave a 39 fps velocity increase. My plan was to go up .3 grains on all the loads, but I might leave XBR right where it is a shoot it again.
          XBRPressure.jpg
          Last edited by biodsl; 08-01-2024, 07:38 PM.
          Paul Peloquin

Comment

• v4lu3s
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2023

Thanks for sharing your results. I have 5 groups of 5 loaded right now of LVR at 30.7, 30.8, 30.9, 31 and 31.1 that I am waiting for a chance to go shoot, but have thought that I should load several more with other powders to test back to back. I have been keeping it at 2.2450" OAL but I think I may try a batch set out a bit longer to give a bit more space for powder in the casing.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

My plan is to use 8208 and not to go above 28.1 at 57.4 - 57.7mm OAL. I figure that will be about 103% full and I don't want to compress 8208 any more than this. At that capacity it's only incremental gains of about 10fps per 0.1gn powder, yet increases by up to 600 lbs pressure each increment - it quickly adds up.

Comment

• v4lu3s
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2023

Tested 30.7-31.1 grains of LVR today at 2.245" out of the 20" barrel. Also shot 2 groups of the AAC 123g OTM, for a total of 7x5 shot groups

The AAC was the most accurate at exactly 1 moa, 2444 fps max, 2390 min and 2404 average and SD of 9.8 fps.

the most accurate group with the ELD VT was about 1.5 MOA at 30.7 grains of LVR, 2554, 2529 and 2539 average with SD of 10.4.

30.8 opened up a bit, 30.0 opened up more, but 31 and 31.1 also tightened back up a little. Worst group was 4 moa of those and best was just over 2 moa at 31.1.

I think I will try going higher and also running side by side groups with the 2.245" OAL as well as a 2.25 or 2.26 inch oal. I need to see 1 moa at least and would really like to see close to 2700 fps.

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by v4lu3s View Post
                  I think I will try going higher and also running side by side groups with the 2.245" OAL as well as a 2.25 or 2.26 inch oal. I need to see 1 moa at least and would really like to see close to 2700 fps.
                  In my barrel, I saw no pressure signs at 2.260 and 31.9 grains of LVR. 2734 FPS out of my 22-incher. Good luck!
                  Paul Peloquin

Comment

• v4lu3s
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2023

Originally posted by biodsl View Post

In my barrel, I saw no pressure signs at 2.260 and 31.9 grains of LVR. 2734 FPS out of my 22-incher. Good luck!
                    Thanks, I am going to get my bullet comparator on this barrel to see if I can figure out if perhaps the jump is different between the HPBT and the various plastic tipped bullets I am working with right now. I find it weird I can get such better groups out of the HPBTs with less effort. I had one .308 load that shot really well out of 2 rifles but like a turd on the 3rd, just bumping out the oal from 2.735" to 2.8" suddenly got me shooting touching holes with a thermal scope on that rifle. But at 2.8" I could not chamber in ANY of my other 308s...

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Another powder that I think might do well with this bullet is VV N530.

8208XBR under 107gr SMK has always been a magic combo though for speed and precision.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• v4lu3s
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2023

So I took a few minutes the Hornady tool and the most accurate of the 4 Hornady cartridges that I have bullets for is the BTHP 123g which also has the smallest jump to rifling. I am going to test at 2.260" and see if that helps some, plus it allows more powder charge as well. I MIGHT be able to go a little further in OAL as I measured 2.230" in the magazines I am using.

Comment

• v4lu3s
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2023

Loaded to 2.27 oal
                          31.9g lvr
                          2666 max 2644 min 2652 avg 8.4 sd
                          I was in a hurry and fired just five quick shots and managed to 1 inch group on a pistol silhouette at 100 yards

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

From another thread:

Originally posted by BigGrizz70 View Post
                            I used 31.4 gr Power Pro varmit and 2,920 fps from a 24" . So the new ELD VT really levels the playing field
                            I have a few ounces of PPV left in the can. Five rounds at 5 different charge weights. I wasn't shooting my best today, but BigGrizz may be on to something here. PPV seems to give big velocities. This is from my 22" BHW.

PPVarmint.jpg
                            Paul Peloquin

Comment

• Zeneffect
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2020

Ppv always delivers velocity and seemingly just asks for more.

Where I would look if I want speed... ppv, 8208, n540, 2520. N540 will get your barrel noticably hotter after a 10 shot string just fyi. Given the length of the bullet, I'd lean into the n540 then ppv in that order before the others. N540 is available, ppv... not so much.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

Those velocities and downrange performance are really impressive.

There is 0.16 Mils wind drift difference between that and 6mm 108gr ELD-M at 1000yds, 6.5mm flatter the whole way even to 1200yds.
                                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X