Anyone using Federal 205 primers??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using Federal 205 primers??????

Hi Guys,

I have a brick of Fed 205 primers. Is anyone using them and how are they working for you in your Grendel reloads

Thanks

I'm using the 205 Match primers and they work outstanding.

Comment

Is there a difference between the match and standard primers for our application??

Comment

No, other than theoretical consistency. There is a 205 Match AR primer out there with a harder cup, but I haven't tried them.

Comment

The 205M does have a VERY soft cup compared to the regular 205. And the Fed 205 is softer than CCI. But CCI is starting to worry me with their QC as I am starting to read more and more oddities about their product:

A forum community dedicated to hunting and fishing enthusiasts in the Utah area. Come join the discussion about safety, gear, tackle, tips, tricks, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, reviews, reports, accessories, classifieds, and more!

I use the Federal Match primers when I am shooting for accuracy out of my bolt guns. And yes, it is a theoretical idea that they are more consistent. However, when tenths of an inch count, I'd rather err on the side of caution personally. If this means having every primer most likely behaving nearly identically as opposed to one igniting poorly, I'd rather have the consistency when I want the best accuracy possible.

As a side note- I record every load I work up in a log book. The match primers generally have not produced visible results. However, I have had a periodic round that has hit inconsistently to the other groups when using regular primers. This generally occurs less than 2% of the time. But that sure could cost you a match if shooting competitively!
          Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2012, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bax* View Post
            The 205M does have a VERY soft cup compared to the regular 205. And the Fed 205 is softer than CCI.
            First time I've heard that. Where does that info come from?

Comment

I just have to say something about the posted thread. It is not possible for a case full of powder to burn and not escape somewhere unless you are on a planet that defies the laws of physics. If it is possible I'm more than interested how it can be explained.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoot View Post
                First time I've heard that. Where does that info come from?
                Here is a great write up from a a guy that I know that posts regularly on a forum that I mod for that gives some great insight on primers:

Benchrest.com talks about the 205M being soft as well as Chuck Hawks but unfortunately they don't delve into the reasons for their softness. My other source is personal experience. I prefer to shoot Fed 205M primers out of my Kimber .204 and when I have primed the case, the primer cup is easily dented just by squeezing the priming tool a tad too hard, whereas the regular 205s take a bit more force to cause any visible dents.

Although here is something I cannot explain: the cup thickness of most standard primers is 0.02" and match primers are 0.025".... slightly thicker. So my speculation is perhaps a softer metal is used?

Here is some info from Frisco Pete that may give you some things to mull over that talks about their cup thickness:

Originally posted by Frisco Pete
                Small Rifle Standard

CCI 400 -thin .020" cup, not recommended for AR15 use by CCI/Speer. Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine. See Note 1 at the bottom of the page
                CCI BR4 - match primer with a thicker .025" cup.
                Federal 205 - Mil-Spec cup thickness according to Federal - okay for 5.56mm. .0225" cup thickness.
                Federal 205M - same as the 205 but the match version.
                Magtech PR-SR - .025" cup thickness (not much feedback yet on this new primer as to AR15 suitability but with the same cup thickness as the Rem 7 1/2 it looks good so far)
                - thin .020" cup, intended for older, lower pressure rounds Remington says do not use for the .223 Rem or other similar pressure rounds. Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.
                - A match or "bench rest" primer. Lyman & Nosler classify this primer as a Standard. Remington says the compound is the same as the 6 1/2 but with a thicker .025" cup.
                RWS 4033- ?
                Winchester WSR - some piercing issues noted when changed from silver to brass cup. Cup thickness is a bit thinner at .021". Most say they are good to go for the AR15 despite that, probably because of the hardness of the cup. Some feel they are less resistant to higher pressures.
                Wolf Small Rifle SR - soft, sensitive copper cup, not recommended for AR15/military rifle use or high pressure rounds.
                So ultimately to answer your question: I am going by observation and what I am reading. I honestly was confused by why my primers had a little bit of a dent in them when I started using the 205s in my rifles and this is why I started researching the topic personally. Ultimately, I dont have a concrete reason for why they are soft though. But if you Google Federal 205M primers soft, you will read a lot of reports on them being softer than most.

Originally posted by blackfoot View Post
                I just have to say something about the posted thread. It is not possible for a case full of powder to burn and not escape somewhere unless you are on a planet that defies the laws of physics. If it is possible I'm more than interested how it can be explained.
                You have got me on this one. I seriously have no idea of how this is possible either... my only speculation would be that he forgot to put powder in the case, or that the powder was contaminated somehow and it didnt burn at all. Weird huh?

Comment

Working...
                X