V-max and TAC load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-max and TAC load

Hello. Does anyone have the Hornady 8th edition reloading book? I'm trying to get the load data for the 95gr V-max using TAC powder. I've seen the load in there, but forgot it. Can someone give me the minimum and maximum powder charge with c.o.a.l. if they have the book.

Got it right here:

26.4gr TAC Start Load generating 2200fps from a 14.5" AA Grendel AR15
    28.4gr = 2400fps
    29.6gr = 2500fps
    30.2gr Max Load 2550fps
    C.O.L.: 2.245"

I get over 2700fps with the 100gr NBT from my 16" Grendel with somewhere around 31.0gr of TAC, but they are hot loads for sure. Find out how much COAL your chamber will tolerate within mag-feed length, and go from there.

Bill A. is getting 2500fps with the 100gr Berger from 10" Grendels right now, using an industrial powder.

What barrel length do you have?

Comment

Hey, thanks. I got a 20" from Precision Firearms and I don't know the COAL yet, they haven't arrived. I'm not even sure the v-max are able to touch the lands cause of their size.

Comment

If you have a Grendel chamber, I'm guessing you will max out at 2.270", as I just compared its ogive profile with the 129gr SST, which maxes out at 2.305" for me. It looks like .030" difference from where the ogive would start to engage.

I would think about start pressure spiking with it being close to the lands, versus case volume pressure spiking. In this instance, you have way more case capacity to work with, so you shouldn't have to seat that far out if you even can.

If you have a .264 LBC chamber, you'll need to find where your max COAL is. I think you'll get very fast results with the lightweight bullet though, especially with a 20". You might also try some other powders like 8208 XBR, X-Terminator, BL(C)-2, and W-W 748.

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Hey, do know the bullet length of 95gr V-Max. If it's less than 1.230", I don't think my 1/8 twist is going to be able to stabilize it.

Comment

Originally posted by juke81 View Post
            Hey, do know the bullet length of 95gr V-Max. If it's less than 1.230", I don't think my 1/8 twist is going to be able to stabilize it.
            85gr VMAX is 1.020" long, and your 1/8 combined with velocity will stabilize it all day long. Maybe even over-stabilize, but it won't matter because it's a short-range varmint bullet. You'll probably be able to push it to 2900fps, which will give you a Point Blank Range of 275yds for a 10" target, which is vert flat-shooting.

1/9 or looser is a better twist for a varmint pill, as it has very short bearing surface on it anyway. Your 1/8 twist is meant to stabilize pills with longer bearing surfaces, like the 107 SMK, 108 Scenar, 123gr AMAX, 123gr SMK, & 123gr Scenar.

Are you looking to slay some Prairie Dogs, or wanting to shoot longer-range target?

Comment

I'm planning on jackrabbit, coyote and bobcat slaying. I also want to keep the pelt of the coyote and bobcat. I figured I can do headshots withing 200 yards and broadside shots when greater than 200 yards so no damage is done the pelt. The V-max will probably not exit at longer ranges.
              Accuracy is paramount, because I want to hunt out 400 yards, thats why I was asking about bullet length.
              Do you think a slower muzzel velocity would fix over-stabilized bullets? I'm ok with 2650 - 2700 fps range.

Comment

You'll have to shoot them and see how they group in your gun. I think the VMAX isn't going to help with keeping the pelts. The Lapua 100gr FMJ Cutting Edge is meant for this, but it only has a .250 BC for closer range.

There was a recent discussion of this problem and how to cope with it. I think someone mentioned that match grade bullets are good for this too, and I would look at the 107SMK, as well as the 108 Scenar, maybe even the Bergers. You'll get excellent wind-bucking, especially in the Mojave.

Comment

Yes. That was probably my other thread in the hunting and varmint section. You wrote a reply in there. Anyways, I choose the vmax for its long range capabilities, boat tail, polymer tip and high bc. I did some research and it turns out many have taken coyote with the vmax with minimum damage to the pelt. I think velocity plays a major factor whether there'll be an exit hole. That's why I want to stay
                  at ~2675fps. Lapua's fmj, sierra varminter and the TNT had low bc's and I couldn't find load data for them.

Comment

Working...
                  X