Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wisconsinteacher

Bullet?

Other than the 123amax, what bullet would you try in a 16" AA barrel?

not sure what purpose you intend (paper punching- hunting long range/ short range, what powders you have, etc. ) but most people have good luck with the nosler 120bt. I have an AA chamber and it shoots great with 100 amax, 120 amax, 123 amax,
    95 vmax, 100 nosler bt, 120 nosler bt- not so much with the sierra 107 or 123, but I probably just need to play more with those- also have never tried the lapua 108 or 123 (kinda spendy though).-
    just some ideas for you.
    -mike

Comment

Ive heard alot of people have good luck with the nosler. The Hornady 129 and the 130gr Swift Scirocco look like they have pretty good damage looking at alexander arms ballistic gel tests.

Comment

I had good results with the Nosler 120 BT and would recommend it. Haven't tried them yet but I also picked up a box of Nosler 125 Partition that I have high hopes for.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2012, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Depends on what you are gonna do with it. Paper and long range (long range to the grendel), only the 108 is money. Hunting I have had great luck with the 130 berger although it is not ideal for the grendel.

Comment

It doesn't matter what projectile you choose to feed your Grendel, it will be awesome at any barrel length!

Comment

• wisconsinteacher

I want to use the bullets for paper and distances out to 500 yards at the range.

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsinteacher View Post
                I want to use the bullets for paper and distances out to 500 yards at the range.
                108's. Perfect for what you want.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

WT:

120 grain Sierra Match King. An excellent bullet, 30% cheaper than a Lapua, and very forgiving in terms of bullet jump and loads.

If your carbine won't shoot these well, you need a new barrel.

LR1955

Comment

• Dogue
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    WT:

120 grain Sierra Match King. An excellent bullet, 30% cheaper than a Lapua, and very forgiving in terms of bullet jump and loads.

If your carbine won't shoot these well, you need a new barrel.

LR1955
                    Agreed. One of the more forgiving bullets for reloading.
                    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Other than the 123amax, what bullet would you try in a 16" AA barrel?
                      I was at the (50 yard) range this morning for my first round of load testing with my recently acquired 16" AA barrel (1:7.5" twist). Here is what shot best for me:

120gr Sierra Matchking w/ 27.5gr of TAC = 3rd group 0.43"
                      140gr Sierra Gameking w/ 29.0gr of BL-C2 = 4rd group 0.59"
                      120gr Hornady A-Max w/ 30gr of BL-C2 = 3rd group 0.61"
                      123gr Hornady A-Max w/ 30gr of BL-C2 = 3rd group 0.64"

I found that no matter what bullet I was shooting, my rifle shot best with the maximum load. Normally I try to avoid warmer loads but my rifle clearly liked the higher pressures; the starting loads grouped two three times larger.

Comment

Schwag, your results indicating that with higher pressures, the Grendel apeares more accurate. Bolt action rifles take a little more pressure then a AR. I find my bolt grendels (pushed a little harder then an AR) a little more accurate than my AR grendels. But then its only a matter of .25 inches or so.

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Schwag173 View Post
                          I was at the (50 yard) range this morning for my first round of load testing with my recently acquired 16" AA barrel (1:7.5" twist). Here is what shot best for me:

120gr Sierra Matchking w/ 27.5gr of TAC = 3rd group 0.43"
                          140gr Sierra Gameking w/ 29.0gr of BL-C2 = 4rd group 0.59"
                          120gr Hornady A-Max w/ 30gr of BL-C2 = 3rd group 0.61"
                          123gr Hornady A-Max w/ 30gr of BL-C2 = 3rd group 0.64"

I found that no matter what bullet I was shooting, my rifle shot best with the maximum load. Normally I try to avoid warmer loads but my rifle clearly liked the higher pressures; the starting loads grouped two three times larger.
                          Schwag:

You are in Spokane and are shooting at only 50 yards? What is up with that?

50 yards shooting with a centerfire utility type of rifle won't give you reliable information on accuracy potential. Neither will 100 yards. 200 to 500 yards will.

LR1955

Comment

LR1955; as indicated, this was my first trip to the range for load development. By shooting only 50 yards, my 7x scope simulates a 14x @ 100yards and thus helps reduce my human error in shot consistency. I was testing to see what my rifle likes, not my marksmanship. The key word was 'first.' Now that I have narrowed down the million or so variables, I'll go play at longer ranges.
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2012, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X