123 Amax terminal performance????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 123 Amax terminal performance????

I haven't seen any gel tests, but here is a pic of what I found in one of the 1gal jugs I was shooting at @ 600 yards. At that range, my estimated velocity is around 1519fps. I was surprised to see the fragmentation.

anyway, it's interesting. I would like to see these things shot into some gel. I guess it explains how they work as well as they do for hunting.

I just like these bullets. hornady123Amax.jpg

I always thought the Amax bullets and ammo were for target shooting, not hunting.

Comment

Nah its a ballistic tip. It will mess up your day.

Comment

Hornady definitely recommends that AMAX NOT be used for hunting...they also have a nice writeup in their scrapbook section about how well the 105 gr 6mm AMAX did on a deer.

Go figure...

I suspect that the bullet does no worse than the cup and core bullets that were used for decades. High velocities were bad news for these bullets with lots of superficial wounds at close ranges with high velocity rifles but they expand OK when the velocity drops below about 2500 ft/sec.

Huh? That's close to the Grendel muzzle velocity...

... Looks like we need more reports from hog shooters....

Comment

Shivesy has been slaying hogs and coyotes with 123gr AMAX like it's fun, even had 2 for 1 kills.

Comment

We drop hogs and deer with the amax bullet easy. If your wanting to kill something with it. It will work fine. Unless your shooting a bear in the rump or something lol.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

The A-max is an awesome shooter,, but if you hunt in a state that bans frag. bullets- for big game -and you get busted=have fun with that one.... Yes all the Hornady's look same as, on the frontal section---I'd rather be safe than sorry-- Hoot, take notes here ! BESIDES=---- DO YOU want to eat the lead spray that travels through the muscle meat---I don't!!!! That's why I lean towards the I bond, & GMX units., and even the barnes copper units. If you take head shots- with Amax=cool. If you take chest shots= good luck on fine dining, might as well chew on old lead house paint. Take this seriously! Your kids eat the meat-with the lead inside. 45% of all chinese youths have a HUGE amount of lead inside their bodies- borders on toxic levels. Don't make comments on them-they are screwed by their own country-evil gov.- Every product they make has lead in it, guess what? they export 89% of of their leaded products, around the world. Most end up in USA.,Your kids play w/ those toys -etc. Yummmm., lead is tasty-enjoy. Try to go lead free in the bullet selection---or at least a bonded unit. Lean on the manufacturures to get the wts. you want. I'm trying to help us all here.

Comment

Working...
              X