HOw do you dry your brass after using a sonic cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seatleroadwr

HOw do you dry your brass after using a sonic cleaner?

My old vibratory brass cleaner just died so I'm thinking of ordering a new sonic cleaner. The demonstrations I've seen on the internet don't seem to include any information on drying the brass after the cleaning process is complete. For those of you that use sonic cleaners, how do you dry your brass?

Skip the ultra sonic and go straight to the stainless media and a drum type tumbler, you will never want to go back to any thing else. Here is a link for further info. http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...ainless-media/
    Bob

Comment

• seatleroadwr

That look s pretty cool Bob but it is out of my price range right now..

Comment

I have an ultrasonic, I wasn't impressed, if you want one I'll sell it cheap.
        Bob

Comment

• Michael
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

Seatleroadrw - I either use the sun (if it is a nice sunny day) or put them in the oven at about 150 for an hour. Big thing with the sonic cleaners is to make sure you rinse the brass real good.
          I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
          - Voltaire

Comment

• seatleroadwr

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
            I have an ultrasonic, I wasn't impressed, if you want one I'll sell it cheap.
            Bob
            Thanks Bob. I already placed an order for one.

Comment

• rasp65
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

I use the stainless method as well and I use a food dehydrator to dry the brass. Helps give the dried tomatoes that thousand yard stare.

Comment

I use a hair dryer on high. Wear a brown cloth glove on the hand handling the brass to keep from getting burned. But you can hold the dryer back at a decent distance and move the brass around a bit to dry the outside and you can pickup each piece and blow the dryer directly into the brass to dry the inside, takes only a few seconds for each piece.

Comment

• StoneTower

I think I would make some type of peg board (in the style of a reloading block) made out of Plexiglas and stainless steel pins. If you had a 10 x 10 or even a 20 x 20 grid it would make quick work. You could even make the base out of aluminum and out the whole thing in the oven.

Comment

I rinse real well and put in the sun in an ammo box. This will only work during the summer. Dry by the fireplace in the winter. All the water evaporates off easily in a couple hours with listed method.

Comment

I place mine at the back of the desktop computer. The hot air coming out of the exhaust fan dries them in around an hour.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2012

i guess i am still old school i just use a vibratory cleaner i have the dillion dl-2000 the big one i run 90% walnut with 10% corn it holds around 10 pounds of media and up to 2k 9mm cases cases com out shiny ans smooth in just a few hours but insides dont shine if i was going to use something else the stainless media setup seems pretty cool just wish it was bigger as far as drying brass i usual spread brass out on a towel tumble it around a little and let it air dry or you could put it into a pillow case and trow it into the cloths drier...jk
                        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                          i guess i am still old school i just use a vibratory cleaner i have the dillion dl-2000 the big one i run 90% walnut with 10% corn it holds around 10 pounds of media and up to 2k 9mm cases cases com out shiny ans smooth in just a few hours but insides dont shine if i was going to use something else the stainless media setup seems pretty cool just wish it was bigger as far as drying brass i usual spread brass out on a towel tumble it around a little and let it air dry or you could put it into a pillow case and trow it into the cloths drier...jk
                          Mongoose,
                          That is the same set up I had before switching to the stainless media, you have a good set up, but once you move to stainless you will never look back. I just have the Tumblers Tumbler High Speed and it will do about 250 .223 or Grendel at a time. It is a bit of a pain to begin with for 6.5 mm calibers because a percentage of the media will be just the right length to get caught in the neck of the case but after a few cycles of throwing those pieces of media away, the problem will cease.
                          There are lots of articles about people who have made very large tumblers out of PVC pipe that will do 2,000 .223 at a time. I haven't messed with that because the 250 piece batch size suits me well. Eventually you will switch and wonder why you didn't do it earlier.
                          Bob

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2012

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                            Mongoose,
                            That is the same set up I had before switching to the stainless media, you have a good set up, but once you move to stainless you will never look back. I just have the Tumblers Tumbler High Speed and it will do about 250 .223 or Grendel at a time. It is a bit of a pain to begin with for 6.5 mm calibers because a percentage of the media will be just the right length to get caught in the neck of the case but after a few cycles of throwing those pieces of media away, the problem will cease.
                            There are lots of articles about people who have made very large tumblers out of PVC pipe that will do 2,000 .223 at a time. I haven't messed with that because the 250 piece batch size suits me well. Eventually you will switch and wonder why you didn't do it earlier.
                            Bob
                            i will probably end up getting one eventually just cant justify the cost right now i spent 400 on text books today that i would have rathered spend on a new tumbler... stupid scholastic responsibility
                            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Like mongoose, I dry mine the low tech way. I spread 'em out on a towel in the garage. We expect 100+ degree heat here in central Texas today, and add to that the heat from two car engines after pulling into the garage, the brass is dry in no time.

Mongoose, you definitely have your priorities in order putting book purchase before a new tumbler. Best of luck to you on your studies.

Comment

Working...
                              X