what is needed for reload for the Grendel? specifically what do I need for the basic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pawpaw1926

what is needed for reload for the Grendel? specifically what do I need for the basic

Would like to know what basic, not to expensive, reload equipment could I purchase for the 6.5 Grendel. Have saved all brass going through 15 boxes of Hornady 123- A max on the range?

Do you have any equipment at all right now? If not the list can get kind of long. To start, you need a good sturdy bench, single stage press to start with, dies,trimmer, scale/powder measure, oal gauge, digital or dial calipers, micrometer, case prep tools, vibrating tumbler(IMO), shell holder, loading blocks, case lube, hand held priming tool. I think thats about it to get you started, may have missed something. Look at midway and other outfits for RCBS kits, they go on sale often. I like RCBS presses and some other equipment, Redding dies(they feel better to me FWIW). There are multiple manufacturers of all the different tools, just ask specifically when you are looking and you will get some good opinions from here. Good luck, and if you decide not to reload, I have dibs on your brass!

Comment

• gunrestorer

What ricsmall said, he covered it well. Redding dies are the best IMO.

Comment

I respectifully disagree. To start you need (1)bullets powder, primers, brass a reloading manual and a SHOE BOX to store everything in. (2) A hand press like the one Lee sells (3)a 2 piece die set (to start with again Lee is good enough) (4) a cheap percision micrometer (analoge is good enough) (5) a shell holder to connect the brass to the die . period. I strongly sugest you shoud buy (to make reloading enjoyable) (6) some Lube (7) a digital scale (8) a priming tool . Trimming is optional as case prep; as is a bench, reloading room, and tumbler and trimmer. Maybe some pople here do it with less, for sure some people do it with more.

Comment

Many ways to get into reloading, I don't think there is one only one best way.

I started with a single stage loading 10mm, after the first 100 rounds, I ran out and bought a progressive loader.

OP is feeding a Semi-auto rifle, maybe a Dillon 550, if I could have a do over, I would of skipped the single and Projector press, and went directly to the 550. If only loading for that G, a single stage will work.

I've never had a hand press, so many times I wish I had a setup though while at the range. I have taken the 550 a couple of times, but it was a hassle.

Comment

The Lee hand press is 'kind of' OK tp start with. I've used it, and agree it will serve one well enough that it should be part of one's bag of tricks.

It is especially useful if the only room one has is the equivalent of a shoe box or so. It is also the least expensive starting point.

Yes, a digital scale can be bought for less than a balance beam, but the inexpensive digital scales frequently allow their zero to drift while the balance beam is pretty reliable unless it gets moved a few inches or so on the lab bench.

I also recommend going with a turret press as the next step up. The move is more for convenience of keeping dies mounted and adjusted for multiple calibers. After that a progressive like the Dillon or Hornady become very handy if one is loading more than about 100 rounds each week.

Most of us load at a true rate of 15-30 rounds per hour at the 100 round per week rate. A "500" round per hour progressive will get one about "200-300" rounds per hour when adjustments, replenishments, breaks, and so on are considered.

Over the long term, you will likely use that hand press on rare occasions, the turret will get good use while developing loads, and it's rock 'n roll time with the progressive!

Comment

crap! forgot about components and manual(s). Check with someone here before you go buy a manual, as some wont have grendel data yet. You can get good starting loads from here. If youve never reloaded, before you buy anything anyone reccomends, purchase the ABC's of reloading. Maybe my above description in post#2 of what you need is a little off, Thats what I use after @25 years of buying,trying, trashing, and more buying. Its what works for me. Ive tried the Lee hand press and to me it was dreadful, although those have been known to turn out very accurate loads. The old ones only neck sized and I wouldnt reccomend that for a semi gas gun, the new ones may be different. Take all our suggestions, research, and get what you think you need to make it enjoyable for you. Good luck. And you may not have to trim, but if your cases get too long and you dont trim,when the cartridge is chambered it crimps it so hard that all the pressure comes back to you! Ive seen it in a Rem. model 600 in .243. Guy gave me the pieces. Had the bolt head heli arced up and machined back out and built a 22-250 on it, so be careful.

Comment

• calaverasslim

Just got started reloading the Grendel. I have been reloading for over 34 years and any new round is a joy. I have found the only manual that contains the 6.5 Grendel is the Hornady #8. None of the others even mention it. I have been directed to several places here for data so I am ready to start.

BTW, I still need some 6.5 Grendel brass cheap but am leaving the Wolf alone.

Comment

The best place to get new brass is from Alexander Arms. $60.00/100pcs for Hornady, $64.00/100 for Lapua

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by pawpaw1926 View Post
                    Would like to know what basic, not to expensive, reload equipment could I purchase for the 6.5 Grendel. Have saved all brass going through 15 boxes of Hornady 123- A max on the range?
                    PP26:

How about stating a reasonable amount of money you will spend. That ought to be a start.

And, there is no such thing as 'basic' or 'advanced' in reloading. You will do the same steps no matter the purpose of the ammunition.

Searching this forum is another good place to start. Run a search and you will see many threads on reloading from equipment through advice to beginners.

LR1955

Comment

• seatleroadwr

Alexander Arms brass is by far the best deal. Lapua quality brass for a little over 60 dollars / 100 is about the best reloading deal there is. As long as you take car eof the brass (and aneal it every so often) I doubt it will wear out.

Comment

Originally posted by calaverasslim View Post
                        Just got started reloading the Grendel. I have been reloading for over 34 years and any new round is a joy. I have found the only manual that contains the 6.5 Grendel is the Hornady #8. None of the others even mention it. I have been directed to several places here for data so I am ready to start.

BTW, I still need some 6.5 Grendel brass cheap but am leaving the Wolf alone.
                        Try the following:
                        • Alexander Arms
                        • Ramshot
                        • Accurate Arms
                        • Lapua Load
                        • Hodgdon

These are online resources that carry Grendel data. Some of them even have complementary hard copy you can request. I know that I get the Ramshot and Accurate manuals every time I order powder through MidwayUSA.com

Comment

Reloading

Great thread! I spoke with Mark at Precision Firearms two days ago and my custom ar-15 is on it's way out the door. On his recommendation I ordered the Forster 2 die set with the mic seater die, but..... I am a bit lost with the prospect for reloading a rifle. I have a Lee Breech lock challenger kit I've been using for my pistol rounds (seems easy to reload for) and an RCBS 1500 chargemaster for powder measure. I purchased a Frankfort digital caliper and a Lyman inertia bullet puller too... so far for case cleaning I have gone the easy route with Isso chemical cleaning kit... I think I need to switch to a tumbler. Also, I have a hand held case trimmer from Lee which can be mounted to a drill... not stationary. I would like my reloads to be as accurate as possible so what do I need beyond what I have listed here? I am not going to attempt to reload until I know I have everything I need and can do it right. I think logically that too many misfeeds and jams could cause undue wear and the assorted problems? Thanks guys.

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bsears10 View Post
                            Great thread! I spoke with Mark at Precision Firearms two days ago and my custom ar-15 is on it's way out the door. On his recommendation I ordered the Forster 2 die set with the mic seater die, but..... I am a bit lost with the prospect for reloading a rifle. I have a Lee Breech lock challenger kit I've been using for my pistol rounds (seems easy to reload for) and an RCBS 1500 chargemaster for powder measure. I purchased a Frankfort digital caliper and a Lyman inertia bullet puller too... so far for case cleaning I have gone the easy route with Isso chemical cleaning kit... I think I need to switch to a tumbler. Also, I have a hand held case trimmer from Lee which can be mounted to a drill... not stationary. I would like my reloads to be as accurate as possible so what do I need beyond what I have listed here? I am not going to attempt to reload until I know I have everything I need and can do it right. I think logically that too many misfeeds and jams could cause undue wear and the assorted problems? Thanks guys.
                            B10:

Really want to know?

Use the Lee press for your pistol ammo and buy a good press for your rifle ammo. Look at Redding, then Hornady, then RCBS. You would probably want a single stage. You probably don't want a progressive.

Get a good powder measure. One with a micrometer adjustment. And made out of metal. Again, Redding, Hornady, RCBS. Harrell would be about the best but also more expensive. Your Chargemaster is somewhat a waste of money and time with a Grendel as most powders for the Grendel are fine grain or ball powders which do not require weighing for each load. A decent powder measure will meter out these powders as consistently as any of the common automatic dispensers. Use the RCBS Chargemaster when you have to load a lot of ammo for a cartridge that uses a long extruded powder. Utterly unnecessary for ball powders, no matter the cartridge.

You will need a good powder scale. Some here like balance beam scales, others electronic scales. Since you already have a electronic scale with the Chargemaster, you might as well use it until you get the money for a stand alone scale. I prefer electronic scales but look at getting a good one. Generally in the $200.00 range.

Polishing brass means your brass is polished. It has no effect on accuracy or function. Stick with your liquid cleaner until you have the money for a vibratory tumbler of some sort. Spend the money on a good press and powder measure.

You asked, so there you go.

LR1955

Comment

Thanks for your advice LR1955. I am going to hold off on reloading for rifle cartridges until I can assemble the best reloading components out there. I've heard of people finding good buys online for used reloading equiptment and I might look around for top quality brands that way. Until I am set up I ordered a box of 120g. bullets from Precision Firearms to break in my barrel and will see how those shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X