Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

Originally posted by blackfoot View Post
    I believe the OP was asking for loads, I assume starting loads. Although brass matters and does make a difference in pressure, starting loads are meant to factor in those considerations. Starting loads should not be overpressure whether you are using Lapua or Hornady brass.
    I will load to the lower end. Thanks.

Comment

• Glockzilla

Gene, this is what Hornady lists in the 8th edition:
      Bl-C2 27.7gr - 30.0gr, WSR, 120-123 Amax Col 2.245
      These data factor in differences in brass, so if you start loading with 27.7 you are ok.
      They also list Benchmark, H335, Tac, A2460, Norma201,A2520,Varget, RL15, Win748 with best velocities for A2520

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

thanks Glockzilla!!!! when are we shooting again???? call me.

Comment

• Michael
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

Older article on the diferences between Lapua and Hornady brass.

Robert Whitley of AR-X Enterprises, LLC builds match-grade uppers for AR-platform rifles. Many of Robert's favorite chamberings are based on the 6.5 Grendel case necked-down to 6mm. Until 2011, Lapua was the only source for 6.5 Grendel brass.

Interesting that the article states H2O capacity is same after resizing.
          I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
          - Voltaire

Comment

I'm in the same position as OP. I want to make some loads to shoot a "ladder test" with my soon to be completed upper. I'm not going to go as indepth as Bwild (he's like a rocket surgeon or something!) but am hoping to find a good shooting load with what components I have on hand. I have CFE223, 123 Amax's, Lapua brass and Wolf SRM primers. Getting other primers is easy if necessary. I also have a bunch of WC844 and some Varget on hand.

I was wondering what would be a good starting powder charge to work up from? I was thinking of starting at 28.5 and going up in .3 gr. increments to 31 or 31.2 gr of CFE223 and looking for an accuracy node towards the higher end. Does this sound workable? I'm looking at loading to magazine length as my main use will be deer/coyotes.

I don't have a chronograph and don't think that I'll be getting one anytime soon. I looking for best accuracy with adequate speed. Later on I can fine tune things when I find a decent job. (can't get too carried away $$$-wise on an enlisted man's pension!)

Thanks,
            Kurt

Comment

• Michael
              Warrior
              • Jan 2012

Kurt - Looks like a solid starting point to me. Yesterday I went up to 31.1 of CFE 223 in Hornady brass, CCI #41 pushing Lapua 123s with a velocity of 2561FPS out of a 20” barrel. Know it is not the same you are working with, but I had no pressure signs, Good luck.
              I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
              - Voltaire

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bugboy View Post
                I'm in the same position as OP. I want to make some loads to shoot a "ladder test" with my soon to be completed upper. I'm not going to go as indepth as Bwild (he's like a rocket surgeon or something!) but am hoping to find a good shooting load with what components I have on hand. I have CFE223, 123 Amax's, Lapua brass and Wolf SRM primers. Getting other primers is easy if necessary. I also have a bunch of WC844 and some Varget on hand.

I was wondering what would be a good starting powder charge to work up from? I was thinking of starting at 28.5 and going up in .3 gr. increments to 31 or 31.2 gr of CFE223 and looking for an accuracy node towards the higher end. Does this sound workable? I'm looking at loading to magazine length as my main use will be deer/coyotes.

I don't have a chronograph and don't think that I'll be getting one anytime soon. I looking for best accuracy with adequate speed. Later on I can fine tune things when I find a decent job. (can't get too carried away $$$-wise on an enlisted man's pension!)

Thanks,
                Kurt
                Kurt:

28 grains using a safe powder for the Grendel is a normal start point that we have used since the cartridge came out.

All three powders will give you good accuracy. Your best safe velocity will probably come from the CFE 223. Be very careful with the WCC 844. You may find your max safe load to be 28 1/2 grains with the 120 to 123 grain bullet weight. Yes, I have used it and yes, it works. And at about 29 grains you are getting into high pressure types of conditions.

Varget has too low a bulk density and although it is perfectly safe, its velocities will be extremely low compared to the other powders.

When working up loads for accuracy, a chronograph is not necessary although it is of good value. For hunting loads, a chronograph is almost a requirement. The Grendel will not give you stunning velocities and the difference between Varget and CFE 223 with a Grendel is the difference of around 200 feept per second which, for a cartridge that will not give high velocity to begin with, is significant and will mean something when hunting IMHO.

Get a chronograph for your testing.

LR1955

Comment

I'll start with the CFE and see if I can find a suitable load and then go from there. I not sure I have the shooting skills of some of you guys, so my guess is I'll find a load with CFE that will satisfy me.

If anything "exciting" happens I'll post it here. (great groups, horrible groups, blown off face, etc).

Thanks for the help so far.

Kurt

Comment

check around the area you live, maybe someone has a chrono you could borrow or rent. you can get a good chrony for @120.00 or less.

Comment

Working...
                    X