does lapua make the Grendel brass for Alexander Arms????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

does lapua make the Grendel brass for Alexander Arms????

i would like to know. thanks.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Yes, same brass, different headstamp is all.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

and much different price...... Thanks

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

AA is building a firearms company, not a reloading company, and apparently sells at a much lower profit margin than the other suppliers!

Comment

Yep and the best price around

Comment

• StoneTower

I wish they would a good Lapua (with AA headstamp) sale a few time a year. Low priced high quality brass could help the Grendel grow faster. I think it started out around $49.00 per hundred and went up from there.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

My first cases were $40.00/100. The profit margin on AA brass is almost non-existant. They might be able to go down a couple bucks, but compare the price on Lapua brass for .223 and .308 from other sources and you'll find that its about what AA charges for Grendel. Grafs has them for 60/100 and 73/100 respectively. Grendel brass from AA splits the difference almost perfectly.

If places can't get Lapua .223 and .308 brass down, with the bazillions of rounds of .223 and .308 that is loaded, then Grendel brass, which is a very minor player in comparison, has almost no chance. AA has held the Grendel price down for years, helping the cartridge as much as they can.

AA has had a few sales of brass over the years, the last was last spring, I think, but you have to be quick!

Comment

• StoneTower

When I got into the Grendel, brass could only be had for $1.05 each so I started hydroforming. Later I found 500 once fired for 30 cents each so I picked those up. When your hunting buddies see you digging through the grass looking for a case that just got ejected 6 feet from the rifle they give you a hard time. When you tell them that they are cost $1.00 each they think you are crazy to shoot an autoloader that has such an expensive diet.

I lose so few in the field that I don't worry about it. It is such a small part of the expense when it comes to hunting.

Availability and reasonable cost could help the Grendel grow.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

Hornady Grendel brass is US$104/100 here in NZ and Lapua is about twice that or more. Even Win 7.62x39 brass for fireforming is in the US$1 a piece. Loosing brass is cause for time spent searching.
                  http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                  Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
                    When I got into the Grendel, brass could only be had for $1.05 each so I started hydroforming. Later I found 500 once fired for 30 cents each so I picked those up. When your hunting buddies see you digging through the grass looking for a case that just got ejected 6 feet from the rifle they give you a hard time. When you tell them that they are cost $1.00 each they think you are crazy to shoot an autoloader that has such an expensive diet.

I lose so few in the field that I don't worry about it. It is such a small part of the expense when it comes to hunting.

Availability and reasonable cost could help the Grendel grow.

Stone, i would sure love to hear how you do your hydroforming.... I have tried it and just ruined every 7.62x39 round that i ran through the process. I have lots of that brass laying around; I would sure love to salvage it if i could. Thanks.

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post
                      Stone, i would sure love to hear how you do your hydroforming.... I have tried it and just ruined every 7.62x39 round that i ran through the process. I have lots of that brass laying around; I would sure love to salvage it if i could. Thanks.
                      First, hello all. I gained interest in the 6.5 Grendel in late November, and at the time the forum seemed to be off-line. glad to see it back up and running! I've already absorbed a lot of info, esp. on reloading, my topic today. Price of brass being what it is, I thought the best approach might be to form my own of 7.62X39.

It works well, but the life of the converted brass in not as long as factory brass and it takes time. When I got 500 at 30 cents each I sold all my new Winchester 7.62x39 brass.

Comment

Working...
                      X