Reloading data for 120 grain Hornady Amax with BLC ( 2)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

Reloading data for 120 grain Hornady Amax with BLC ( 2)?

I have some wolf brass ( yes, i know its supposed to be crap but it was free ...), I have a box of 120 grain Hornady Amax bullets, and i have some BLC (2) powder.

The Alexander Arms reloading data page is gone...

Can anyone tell me what the OAL should be for this bullet as well as the minimum and maximum load using the above mentioned powder?

I will be using #34 military type primers.... Thanks.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post

The Alexander Arms reloading data page is gone...
    Nothing listed for the 120gr A-max, but AA reloading data is still accessible:

Drifter

Comment

Hi Gene
      In my (6.5 grendel chamber) gun with 19.5'' barrel I loaded them to 2.185'' (after checking with oal gauge & also oal testing at the range).
      This was in 1x AA brass with CCI 450's. -ended up at 30.6gr BLC2.
      They grouped into an inch (10 shots) at 100 yards, and I hit 10'' steel plates at 700 yards with them (and I am no expert!)
      Seeing how your going to use Wolf brass, I'd back down to maybe 30.0gr and go from there- maybe even more than that in the hot weather (29.5gr?)
      Good luck!
      Tell us how they do for you.
      -mike

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Thank you fellas!!!

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

if it helps any Gene, I started at 27.5g and worked up to 30.2 in my grendel. 24 inch barrel. my most accurate loading is still 28.8g blc2 iirc.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Thanks Jackson!!! I will do 28.8 as you recommend. ( I don't want to get too close to a maximum load, especially with Wolf brass - as A.D.D. AR rightly points out ).

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Originally posted by A.D.D. AR View Post
              Hi Gene
              In my (6.5 grendel chamber) gun with 19.5'' barrel I loaded them to 2.185'' (after checking with oal gauge & also oal testing at the range).
              This was in 1x AA brass with CCI 450's. -ended up at 30.6gr BLC2.
              They grouped into an inch (10 shots) at 100 yards, and I hit 10'' steel plates at 700 yards with them (and I am no expert!)
              Seeing how your going to use Wolf brass, I'd back down to maybe 30.0gr and go from there- maybe even more than that in the hot weather (29.5gr?)
              Good luck!
              Tell us how they do for you.
              -mike

Mike, forgive my ignorance ( i havent done much reloading and this is my first Grendel reloading ) , but why did you seat your bullets down to a 2.185 oal when they can be as long as 2.250??? Just trying to understand. Thanks, Gene

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post
                Mike, forgive my ignorance ( i havent done much reloading and this is my first Grendel reloading ) , but why did you seat your bullets down to a 2.185 oal when they can be as long as 2.250??? Just trying to understand. Thanks, Gene
                Probably to keep the bullet from being jammed into the lands. It's the nature of that particular bullet. The 123gr A-max is a better design for the Grendel chamber, and can usually be seated out to mag length.
                Drifter

Comment

You are loading 120 grain A maxes, not 123 grain A maxes right? Because the 120 grain Amaxes have a wierd ogive (pretty fat near the tip- 95 grain V maxes are very similar)
                  so- to avoid jamming them into the lands & possibly causing overpressure problems, you seat the bullet deeper into the case- that's why I always check all "new" bullets with the oal
                  gauge so I get a good idea of where to start loading the oal's to- then I usually test them at the range- usually a "sweet spot" is found- then I play with powder charges-
                  the 123 grain A maxes are made for the grendel, specifically- I have found in my gun the "sweet spot" is around 2.248'' with the 123 grainers. But the 120 A maxes shoot great for me, too.
                  hope this helps!
                  Mike

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Thanks fellas!

Comment

Working...
                    X