Favorite powder for 123 Scenar load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite powder for 123 Scenar load

I have tried a number of powders with the 123 Scenar, and so far, my rifle seems to like either Tac, or W748 the best. The issue I have is that these powders are more temperature sensitive than I like.

I'm fairly conservative, and always prefer accuracy over velocity. The best accuracy for me seems to be with 30.3 of W748 (max is 30.5 with the info I have). In my 19.5 inch barreled rifle, this generates about 2540 FPS during summer months. In winter, velocity drops to around 2460, but accuracy seems to still be pretty good.

I would like to know what other people are finding that gives both good accuracy, and isn't as temperature sensitive.

A friend of mine has used 8280 and reports very good accuracy, but his velocity indicates the load is hotter than I want to use. Well, there is that, and he recently had a bolt lug break...I prefer a more conservative loading so my equipment will (hopefully) last longer.

The less temperature sensitive powders like Varget and 8280 don't seem to work as well with the smaller case of the Grendel.

What powders are you all using to get good accuracy, reasonable velocity, that isn't too temperature sensitive?

That is the dilemma we all face, the most temperature stable powders are stick powders and by their very nature are less dense than ball powders. Ball powders are more temp sensitive than stick powders. There is no free lunch. However, I have talked to Hodgdon and asked them what ball powder is the least temp sensitive and their answer was CFE223. Some fine load development has been done by Bwild on a thread found here http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...)-lots-of-pics.
    I would certainly consider this powder.
    Bob

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Comment

Working...
      X