Non-grendel: Help me pick a canonical name for my custom .45 cal ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-grendel: Help me pick a canonical name for my custom .45 cal ammo

I run a pair of .45acp chambered M94 mausers with custom loads I make from .460 rowland brass and .45acp bullets. The brass I cut down to .888 and my headspace wont' allow a case longer than that. The powder charges are slightly beyond top .460 rowland loads and ONLY for use in my rifles. I use the .460 brass so my .45acp pistols never see those rounds (head stamp diff).

My version of .460 runs a good bit hotter than any book load (I get flattened primers like any magnum but no cratering or piercing) and it's different enough that I need a canonical name for it so my buddy and I can communicate clearly when we're out shooting or in reloading. I can't just call it the rowland because I may add a true rowland conversion to one of my pistols. Lately I've been calling these "the rifle forty fives" but that's too many words.

So, help me come up with a friendly name for it. It'll never go commercial production and it's only to help me speak clearly with my friend while we're reloading and or shooting (or packing for a shooting trip).

something like .452 Whackarat or .451 Cayenne or .45 Cinderblock or .45 C-Square

My wife likes .45 Cinderblock and I kinda dig on it. Thoughts, other suggestions are welcome.

Recipe for a sample load: .460 Rowland case TTL: .888", CCI MLPP, **.*gn Longshot, 185gn Nosler JPH or 200gn MHBLRN (moly hollow base lead round nose). 1900fps. I estimate that these have a peak pressure of over 50K psi but without any QuickLoad data I can't rightly even guess.

If you want the actual powder charge, PM me. I would post it but I don't want any rowland reloaders to think that it's safe in a pistol. You obtain and use powder charge information from me at your own risk.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Guys:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Grendel so I will now attempt to lock the thread.

If you want to respond, do so back channel to R3.

R3 -- neat cartridge but this isn't the place.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
    X