cases get stuck in chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cases get stuck in chamber

Hey, I'm having trouble with my full-length cases. This is my first try at reloading. I have hornady custom grade die set and once fired hornady cases from my own gun. This is my problem, I full-length 4 cases using Lee's wax-based lube. I chambered one of the empty cases to check if it chambered correctly but when I tried to clear the chamber of the case the bolt wouldn't budge. I had to pull the charging handle hard with both hands till the bolt released and sent the case flying. I tried it with the other 3 cases and the same thing happened. The fourth one was stuck so hard I actually thought I would need to take it to a gunsmith. Is this normal when cases are chambered without a bullet or am I reloading wrong? Oh, the sizing die is the touching shellholder at full stroke on my press for complete full-length sizing.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

You aren't pushing the shoulder back far enough. This is by far the most common reloading issue with new Grendel reloaders. Screw your die in another half turn and try it, then another half turn if that doesn't work.

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      You aren't pushing the shoulder back far enough. This is by far the most common reloading issue with new Grendel reloaders. Screw your die in another half turn and try it, then another half turn if that doesn't work.
      exactly what bwaites said.

I had some stuck cases until i adjusted the die to where it contacted the shell holder just at cam-over and i was up and re-loading with no problems.

Comment

Dude, your're a genius. It worked! Now do you know how to use the seating die that has a built in crimp?

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          Excellent advice, and you will hear this from all of the experienced reloaders!

How is your rifle chambered? CSS, LBC, ARP, Grendel? What does your resized case neck diameter measure?

Is your shell holder the same brand as your dies, this will make a difference.

Do you have set of vernier calipers? Dial or Digital should be used, simple slide calipers aren't going to work.

If you have the proper type of calipers, have you measured your case length? 1.520" my personal max, even though AA recommends 1.520" - 1.526". If you're short of funds the Lee case trimmer works well enough, but the Universal Lyman and the Hornady LnL trimmers are far superior to the Lee trimmer. There are a few that are luxury models that cost twice what the Lyman sells for, but to the folks that own them, are well worth the premium.

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

If you don't want to crimp run a case all the way up and screw down the seating die until it contacts the case. Then back it off 1/4 to 1/2 turns. If you want to crimp seat your bullet to the desired depth, back out your seating stem, turn your die down until you get the desired crimp, and thenscrew down your seating stem until it comes in contact with the bullet. That being said the next big problem new reloaders of the Grendel face is the OAL. It is best to measure max OAL and back it off .007".

Comment

same thing happened to me.. I did just what bwaites said.. no more stuck cases.. I also purchased a 6.5 ammo gauge from AA that works well to spot check cases

Comment

Working...
              X