Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill.brandonj

i'm a dumbass...help please!

okay so i am brand new to the ar platform and barely have my feet wet with reloading...last winter i reloaded about a box of each 30-30 and 30-06 for my bolt and lever gun....my father in law has done it forever but mostly pistol...i am reading a lot about "run-out" and the hornady and the redding dies this one better than that one.....i kneed someone to explain all this in my terms...i am not shooting comp. never over 500 yards, shit i cant see that far....thanks in advance as i know i will get some good responses from you all ....

Run out is simply a measure of how far the bullet is aligned off the center line of the case. It doesn't matter at all for your purposes. Redding, or Hornady dies are more than good enough. Runnout has to be more than .003" to even see an effect at 1,000 yards and both of those dies will load a bullet with runout less than .005" every time. At 500 yards and less it is not an issue.
    Bob

Comment

Bullet Run-Out is simply put as "the amount of wobble the projectile produces as the cartridge is rotated on a horizontal axis parallel to its length" Basically, lay the cartridge on its side and roll it, If you see the projectile wobble (a white piece of paper under the cartridge may help exaggerate the wobble) put it back in the press and run it up into the seating die, bring it back down, rotate it 180 deg., run it back up into the seating die and then recheck for wobble. Wobble that is not visible to the eye "usually" is not a problem under 300yds.

Hopefully if this is incorrect some one will speak up, but this is what I was taught by my mentors.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2012, 01:47 AM.

Comment

LOL Stokes beat me!

Comment

• hill.brandonj

Okay. Thanks guys. I just couldn't see spending more than double on redding over hornady. But if it is one if those things I'll regret not spending on. I'd line to know ahead.. ...now
          How about brass cleaning? Father in law is on a sonic kick. Worth it? Or just get the sixty dollar vibratory ?

Comment

My vote goes to VIBE!! The chemicals in the sonic solution can ruin brass if not rinsed properly. I had to learned this the hard way.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2012, 01:58 AM.

Comment

i personally like the wet ss method for cleaning my cases but i like my brass to bling

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hill.brandonj View Post
                Okay. Thanks guys. I just couldn't see spending more than double on redding over hornady. But if it is one if those things I'll regret not spending on. I'd line to know ahead.. ...now
                How about brass cleaning? Father in law is on a sonic kick. Worth it? Or just get the sixty dollar vibratory ?
                BH:

Brass cleaning is one of those things that guys do but none of them believe does anything to improve accuracy.

You can easily clean off anything that has the potential of ruining a sizing die at the cost of a old towel every year or two.

If you are trying to decide to get a brass cleaner or something important like a very good scale or powder measure, put all of the money into a good scale or powder measure. If you compromise, you will get a poor scale and a poor brass cleaner and will regret it within a year.

With few exceptions in reloading, if a guy goes on the cheap he will regret it within a month. Buy a brass tumbler that only takes fifty pieces of rifle brass and you will see after one use that you should have spent the money on one that takes 500 pieces.

LR1955

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

LR I find that polishing my brass allows me to find with more accuracy the pieces I drop on the floor.

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
                    LR I find that polishing my brass allows me to find with more accuracy the pieces I drop on the floor.
                    So true!!

I like shiny brass, and it does help me find the pieces that have split necks or other issues a little easier.

The stainless media cleans brass beautifully, and it cleans the primer pockets and the inside of the cases well also. Its about 4 times as spendy to get started, but you never have to buy media again. (You MIGHT wear out the tumbler, though!).

I haven't made the switch, always finding something else to spend the money on, like bullets, powder, and brass!

I use a Lyman 2500 tumbler, and corn cob media because it is less dusty than walnut shell media.

My brass comes out pretty, but it doesn't clean the primer pockets like the stainless does.

Ultrasonics work well, but you have to rinse the brass and let it dry, (the same thing applies to stainless media) so there is an extra step.

All the methods have tradeoffs, but regardless, buy the biggest tumbler you can afford, as LR1955 points out.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

Cool. Thanks to ask of you for your time. Sounds like the vibratory is an okay choice and in sure cleaning the pocket manually gives a guy the chance to inspect the case any how

Comment

Working...
                      X