Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill.brandonj

dies dies dies?

need help here... y father in law helps me reload..has a rcbs set up rock chucker....no 6.5 G dies that i can find saw on another forum taht any die should work... was thinking about the Hornady 2 pc set...will this work for me? and also any ideas about the RCBS "AUTOAMATED" SCALE THING THAT IS PROGRAMABLE?
  • Michael
    Warrior
    • Jan 2012

Most say Redding are the way to go with dies. Have used Lee and Redding with no issues w/either. As to the RCBS scale, if you are talking about the RCBS Chargemaster, I use it and love it.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
    - Voltaire

Comment

my old RCBS digital scale and measure have worked perfectly for ten+ years. Cant really speak for the new ones, but RCBS has probably the best cust. service in the industry, IMO. Try it, youll like it.

Add: they are slow, which is fine for small batches of precision loads, for bulk loading of 5.56 or any caliber plinking ammo, a manual powder measure is much faster. On the flip side, if you want fast and precise check into harrell precision BR powder measures. these work great with ball and flake, maybe even SC extruded. They are pricey, but nice. Not affiliated with Harrell, just what ive used. Other BR powder measures are proly just as good. Check some BR forums and see what they are using these days, Ive been out of loop in that area for a while.

Also, as far as dies go people are having great luck with the hornady and redding dies both. Really boils down to personal preference.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2012, 09:59 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

i have the hornady set and really like it. they are better than the lee's by a long way.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

wow well thanks guys i appreciate your time....i talked to RCBS since that is the company my father in law has all of his stuff from....they don't have a die set for this caliber BUT he told me that the 264 LBC in their AR series dies is the same damn thing as the Grendel! also the guy from RCBS told me to buy my dies from Midway rather than direct from them and saved me 40%! really really helpful guy...so the auto thing is great but again as I am finding in this world...all depends on my intended use i suppose???

Comment

Originally posted by hill.brandonj View Post
            wow well thanks guys i appreciate your time....i talked to RCBS since that is the company my father in law has all of his stuff from....they don't have a die set for this caliber BUT he told me that the 264 LBC in their AR series dies is the same damn thing as the Grendel! also the guy from RCBS told me to buy my dies from Midway rather than direct from them and saved me 40%! really really helpful guy...so the auto thing is great but again as I am finding in this world...all depends on my intended use i suppose???
            The automated scale/measures are great,just slow. If you are performing other tasks such as priming or seating bullets, you dont really notice, but you have to keep getting up and dumping powder then going back to what you were doing before.( good way to start screwing up) Again, for small to medium batches of ammo, it is ok because every charge is weighed, but bulk, no good.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

I would stay away from the Lee dies. I have a chargemaster and love it. I wonder how I ever reloaded without it.

Comment

I use the Hornady dies and the chargmaster scale. Both work very well for me. Used to use the Lee collet dies for my 223 till it started crushing cases at the shoulder. Went back to my old RCBS dies for that one.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hill.brandonj View Post
                  HB:

Not necessarily.

The Grendel, like most if not all cartridges designed for an AR-15, is more of a ball powder cartridge than extruded. You do not need to weigh out ball powder charges individually to get uniform charge weights. Ball powders meter very uniformly. If folks don't believe me, fill up your measure with some 748 or 2520 and weigh out twenty charges. You won't find any of the automatic power measures to give better results. So, if you stick with ball powders or fine grained extruded like 8208 BR, you don't need an expensie automatic dispenser.

The guy at RCBS is right. The .264 LBC uses the same cartridge dimensions as the Grendel. It is the same cartridge, just a different chamber design. However, I still contend the Redding bushing dies are the best option because there is enough of a difference in brass thickness between the Hornady / Lapua and the Wolf and 7.62 X 39 brass that you may find that they don't size the necks of the Wolf brass down enough and the 7.62 X 39 brass too much.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
                  X