Going to start buying supplies for this winter. Anyone have thoughts in the
    129 g sst against the amax 123 g. General whitetail hunting
    16 inch barrel.

Also suggestions on powder and primer. Going to use
    Thus Wolf gold brass im shooting. Got a good price on it right now
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

There are some loads for 129's here http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...)-lots-of-pics.

Comment

Can't go wrong with ether of these bullets. That said, I'd choose 129 SST for whitetails. I have an unopened box of them on the bench waiting for some load development. I also have some Nosler 125 Partitions that I have high hopes for a deer load.

I'll be using Lapue brass, CCI 450 primers with 8280 powder.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

Any caveat to using the spent Wolf brass?

Comment

• hill.brandonj

By the way. Thanks for the input. New to this platform and reloading also

Comment

I'm finding that wolf "PPU" brass is really not as bad or "soft" as people assume. The Large Rifle primer is viewed as a draw back, because it has a greater surface area; the pressures exerted on the primer wear the primer pocket out rather quickly. PPU brass is usually good for 3-5 reloads, Hornady and Lapua brass are capable of twice as many reloads, Lapua is known to offer more than twice what PPU is good for.

Brandon, a starting load for the 129g SST and CFE223 in PPU brass. 29.3g CFE223 - Tulammo 7.62 NATO primer - COAL 2.270.

If you can't get the Tula 7.62 primer, a Wolf LR (non-Magnum) primer will be a suitable substitute. You could also try a CCi in LR (non-magnum), I STRONGLY recommend avoiding Winchester LR primers, they have very thin cups and the primer walls will split even under light loading's.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hill.brandonj View Post
              Going to start buying supplies for this winter. Anyone have thoughts in the
              129 g sst against the amax 123 g. General whitetail hunting
              16 inch barrel.

Also suggestions on powder and primer. Going to use
              Thus Wolf gold brass im shooting. Got a good price on it right now
              129gr SST will penetrate a little deeper then the 123gr A-max. Though the A-max will often do the job nicely on whitetails, penetration can be inadequate at short range with high impact velocities. Thus, I think the SST would be a better all-around choice. The 129gr InterBond will penetrate even better if you feel that you need that type of performance (though at a considerably higher price).

I've shot some deer with a few different bullets, and also recently tested expansion, penetration, and weight retention of various Grendel hunting bullets shot into water jugs. I'll try to post pics and results sometime in the near future.

Regarding powder, 8208 works well with 123gr and 129gr bullets. Accuracy of my test loads was actually better from my buddy's 18" midlength than from my 19.5" rifle-length, so I would guess that 8208 might be quite suitable for your 16" barrel.
              Drifter

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Hill., use the SST-of the two it will hold together a bit better. four yrs. ago I took a shot at a nice buck-400yds. away in Howling winds, hit in the front leg-bicep area- bone hit dead center, leg came off--SST. Yes we got the deer...The SST has the same gilding metal jacket as most Horn. hunt bullets= tough stuff.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

thanks guys for all your time...i cannot wait to shoot this weekend and this winter i am going to reload the hell out of some bullets! all your info is appreciated. I don't plan on hunting a lot with it...more so the hunting is my justification for buying it...as if i needed another deer rifle...my 30-30 or the 30-06 do anything we need on our farm...but that said i am going to take it out....also want to be able to make a load that is just plain accurate and fun to shoot so to speak....i have never shot more than 300 yards at anything and my goal is 600 yards EVENTUALLY i am going to have a guy here in town "teach" me some stuff on how to shoot that far i suppose you could say.

hope you all have a great Fourth!

Comment

Working...
                  X