New to ladder testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to ladder testing

My local range just extended to 300yds. Is this long enough for ladder testing. How many rds. are you folks typically firing with each load.

Much thanks
  • ChellieWiles

I normally do ladder testing loads at 100-125 yards just to keep the groups tight. This lets me see which load produces the tightest grouping which will give me better accuracy at longer 300+ yard distances. I'll look at the max listed in a few different manuals and then drop about 1.5-2 grains below that to start when I haven't loaded that projectile before. I'll load between 3-5 rounds with each group of 3/5 loaded .25-.50 grain more than the last until I think I'm close to the max. If I'm in hot territory I'll just load up 1 or 2 rounds and chrono or test fire and look for extractor marks/flattened/cratered primers. If there isn't any, I'll load up another .25grains higher until I find that point and then back off that charge .5 grains. That produces the hottest safe load without destroying your rifle or it's parts. If you load this way you must hand weigh every charge to ensure that you are not going above where you are at. I have broken gas keys off trying to dispense powder charges at this level of pressure. Due to variances in powder dispenser charges, you could get a few really HOT rounds if you decide not to weigh every charge. Be safe with your experiment and have fun.

Comment

Tikka, the idea is to get as far away as possible, shooting very few rounds, one per charge. there are a few varaiations... I've read every thing possible about the ladder, and I believe that it most precicely and concisely contained at the link I'm posting here. I bet that after checking out the link, you'll be saying, "Ahhh! Got it!" Enjoy:

A word of caution: if you can get out of the wind, that's a good thing, but not vital for this test... BUT!... make sure you are at your best form, don't take any shots lightly!!
      Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2012, 05:19 PM. Reason: bad grammar and spelling...

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tikka View Post
        My local range just extended to 300yds. Is this long enough for ladder testing. How many rds. are you folks typically firing with each load.

Much thanks
        Yes, I think 300 yards is sufficient. One round with each load, making every shot count. It helps to spot each shot and plot them from the bench if possible. If desired, you can do two rounds of each load, and run two separate tests to compare results.

Reloading for long range shooter. Accurateshooter.com is the best guide for benchrest and precision shooting, complete with PPC, 6BR, 243, 223, 308, 7mm Cartridge Guides, Reloading, Shooter Message Boards, and Photo Gallery. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Equipment reviews (cartridge, barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing,ballistics, component sales, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.
        Drifter

Comment

+1 to Drifter's advice...

Comment

BOWSHOT,

Just read the posted link. Ahhh! Got it!

Thanks much.

Comment

Working...
            X