Bullet "sticking" in Redding Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet "sticking" in Redding Dies

I started reloading my first batch ever of Grendel ammo today. I have been reloading for several years, different calibers, and never had this issue before.

I am reloading with brand new Lapua brass. I did not full length resize them because I have never had to. I was starting on my first round and adjusting the seater die. I was using XBR and 100 grain Nosler BTs. I was striving for a 2.20" C.O.L. per Hodgdon's. I started off high and was measuring the round each time I pulled the handle. As I got closer to the C.O.L. the bullet stuck in the die. The first 5 I reloaded the same thing happened with 3 of them. I also noticed that a "ring" was on the bullet where the die made contact with the bullet. I tried to wipe out the ring but it was not a superficial mark.

What am I doing wrong?

I did take the ones that the bullet got stuck in and poured out the powder. I then put on the safety goggles and backed out the primers when I full length resized them. This seemed to help but it does not make sense to me.

FYI - I also sent an email to Redding technical support to see what they say.

Thank you for any advice your could give me.

Bert
  • Dogue
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Sounds like your neck tension is too high. I'd run them through a sizer die then try again.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Von Gruff
      Chieftain
      • Apr 2012

It could also be that the bullet cup on the seating stem is not a good match for the bullet you are using. I have chucked the stem in a drill and polished the edge on the cup to take the sharp edge off but neck tension is a major factor in the force needed to seat the bullet.

Von Gruff.
      http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
      Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bboudie View Post
        I started reloading my first batch ever of Grendel ammo today. I have been reloading for several years, different calibers, and never had this issue before.

I am reloading with brand new Lapua brass. I did not full length resize them because I have never had to. I was starting on my first round and adjusting the seater die. I was using XBR and 100 grain Nosler BTs. I was striving for a 2.20" C.O.L. per Hodgdon's. I started off high and was measuring the round each time I pulled the handle. As I got closer to the C.O.L. the bullet stuck in the die. The first 5 I reloaded the same thing happened with 3 of them. I also noticed that a "ring" was on the bullet where the die made contact with the bullet. I tried to wipe out the ring but it was not a superficial mark.

What am I doing wrong?

I did take the ones that the bullet got stuck in and poured out the powder. I then put on the safety goggles and backed out the primers when I full length resized them. This seemed to help but it does not make sense to me.

FYI - I also sent an email to Redding technical support to see what they say.

Thank you for any advice your could give me.

Bert
        Bert:

See Von Gruff. You are doing nothing wrong. The ogive of the bullet is not conforming with the internal dimensions of the seating stem. I don't shoot that bullet but have had the same problems with VLD bullets. Open up the stem like Von Gruff said and they won't get stuck anymore. The ring may still happen but in most cases it doesn't mean anything.

LR1955

Comment

I agree with the above, but you also didn't say if you are compressing the load, and if the case is too full for that bullet you'll increase the pressure on the ogive and you shorten the OAL, and that can increase the amount of ring in the bullet and sticking. That isn't the problem if it's not a compressed load.

Comment

I will try your suggestions, thanks.

fanofflyn: I am following Hodgdon's recipe. The minimum grains is 29.0 and the max is 30.8. The loads I was reloading were 29.6 so still on the low end of their recommendations. They say the 30.8 is compressed but they do not say when it starts becoming a compressed load. That said IMO they are compressed. You can't hear the powder in the cases. FYI - Hodgdon's also recommends the COL of 2.20.

Comment

I understand, and it's probably OK, but that is one reason why it doesn't stick until you start getting shorter (I mean the round, not you) in COAL. It doesn't stick, and then at ten microns shorter it starts making a ring, and then it starts sticking. Sometimes when I do compressed loads I'll use a drop tube or equivalent to get the powder more settled, and I spin them between my fingers a bit and it compacts the granules better, then I can get another couple of hundredths out of the length. Since I shoot a lot of Barnes, I have to find ways to fit the powder in the case. You can also tell when you are turning down the seating die, that you get less length out with the same degree of turns, it sort of bottoms out, and then that's when the bullet ring starts to form and the case starts sticking. Full length sizing will cause less case capacity than neck sizing, but since I run five Grendels off the same ammo, I full length size. Typically, my new brass holds less than once fired brass, so I personally set my max volume of load (if not limited by pressure) in my new cases, and don't exceed that in my full length sized cases. But then, I'm sortof eccentric, self-taught, and have a lot of bad habits (or is it hobbits) that others don't need to reproduce. Some say that I don't need to reproduce, and that my brother is an only child, but that is off topic.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

I would assume this load is a compressed load as the bullet didn't start sticking until you got all the way sown to your desired oal polishing the seating plug may help but i would try seating slitly further out of the case if you can
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

If you are using the custom competition dies, redding advises not to use them to seat bullets over compressed loads. Not only will they stick but they will also damage the seating stem and it is a $55 repair. You can also buy a VLD seating stem or return your seating die and they will swap it out for you.
                  Bob

From Redding
                  Heavily compressed loads can create problems when seating bullets. Our Competition Seating Die is not a powder compression die. The excessive force required to seat a bullet on a compressed load can damage the die and may cause seating depth variations. Switching to a faster burning or ball powder may eliminate the need to excessively compress the powder charge.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call our technical support line at 607-753-3331.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2012, 12:49 AM.

Comment

What you guys are saying is exactly what is happening. I am not using the competition die but it is the last few turns that gets the bullets stuck. Also, the turns don't push down the bullet as much during the last turns. Looks like I need to get a different stem.

I appreciate all the help.

Bert

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

stokes, that's a great info post -(From Redding ) . Everyone should re-read that data- take it to heart.. easy to see what's being said.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I've found that to be true with just about any seating die, especially with sleek and skinny bullets like like we like to use. The cups of the seating stems are not that thick and the bullets act like a wedge. I've had the cups split in the past before I learned better.
                        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I have had several e-mails back and forth with Redding. They are recommending the VLD stem and say that should solve the problem. Here is the last e-mail from them:

Redding makes a Micrometer Top for use with such bullets. Basically, you would remove the standard ST Plug in your Die and replace it with this Bullet Seating Micrometer. They are available through most Redding Dealers. The part number for your 6.5 Grendel is 09167. Thank you very much.

I have ordered it through Sinclair. $41 with shipping so not too bad to get the right stem and a micrometer adjustment at the same time. (I looked at just the VLD stem for the standard die and it was $19 w/o shipping.)

We will see what happens when I replace the parts and try again.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

FYI - I did ask the question if compressed charges will make a difference for the dies. (When researching my problem I saw this may be the case.) Below is Redding's response:

With a standard seating Die with the Bullet Seating Micrometer, compressed charges will not affect the Seating Die. However, please do not use a Competition Seating Die with compressed charges.

Bert

Comment

I took Stokesrjs' advice from another thread, Fill the seating stem with Epoxy, coat a projectile with case lube (The Lee case lube works great!), with the stem up-side-down, stick the projectile into the stem, let it cure. Now you have a custom fit stem for that projectile, that will also work for other projectiles. No more funny looking 130g Norma's

Is this possible to do with a Redding seating stem? I use the Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies and did this to the standard stem that came with the Die set. I also purchased an A-max stem for the SST and A-max. Swapping between the two takes no more than 30 seconds, even with the Micro-Just installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X