Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smokepole50

Load data request for the 123gr Hornady A-Max

Hi Guys, its been awhile since I last posted on the old forum. I am glad to see the Grendel is still thriving.

I would like some input about a load I have been shooting in my 16 inch chrome lined upper I bought long ago from Bill. I have been loading 120gr Remington Core-loks over 30.0gr of AA2520 powder in a AA Lapua case and 450 CCI mag primers. I have not had any issues with this load but I believe it is at the upper edge and I was wondering if there is any new data that shows this load to be too hot.

I would also like some assistance with loading the 123gr Hornady A-Max using AA2520. What is the upper end load for this powder? I am seeing 28.0gr listed, is this the safe point or can it loaded hotter?

As well I have a new box of 129gr SST's if anyone is willing to suggest loads for that bullet too. Hopefully Bill will have time to post some load data for these very popular bullets in the near future.

Regards to all,

Smokepole
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Welcome back!

Comment

• Smokepole50

Thanks bwaites, I look forward to working with some of these new 6.5 bullets in the Grendel. Heck I might just march myself over from Blacksburg one day and try to talk Bill out of another upper, I've always wanted a 20 incher. I here tell now you can walk right in on the Arsenal and go to AA.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Smokepole50 View Post
        Thanks bwaites, I look forward to working with some of these new 6.5 bullets in the Grendel. Heck I might just march myself over from Blacksburg one day and try to talk Bill out of another upper, I've always wanted a 20 incher. I here tell now you can walk right in on the Arsenal and go to AA.
        If so, that's new. I was on the phone with him recently when he had to stop at the gate, so if that has changed, its very recently.

Comment

• Smokepole50

Well I could be wrong. Like I said, I was told this by another person that lives up here in Blacksburg, I just work in Blacksburg. Maybe you can get in now if you have an appointment at AA were before it was a closed site because of the Arsenal security. Does Arne still work for AA?

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Smokepole50 View Post
            Well I could be wrong. Like I said, I was told this by another person that lives up here in Blacksburg, I just work in Blacksburg. Maybe you can get in now if you have an appointment at AA were before it was a closed site because of the Arsenal security. Does Arne still work for AA?
            Arne has never worked for AA. He owned CSS (Competition Shooting Sports), which worked with AA on development and distribution of the Grendel. He has since sold CSS, to Lothar Walthar, I believe.

Comment

• Smokepole50

Well there you go, and I thought Arne worked for Bill all this time. I met Arne the day I bought my upper at the Salem Gunshow years ago.

Boy do I feel stupid after reading this. Did it really develop this way?
              Les Baer Custom has cloned the 6.5mm Grendel and named their creation the .264 LBC-AR.So why would Les Baer, who were well known for producing quality licensed 6.5mm Grendel AR-15 rifles, start competing with Alexander Arms?Let me tell you why.Back in the late 90s Arne Brennan developed a 6.5mm wildcat cartridge based on the 6mm PPC (a cartridge with a well earned reputation as a highly accurate benchrest cartridge).

Dang, I really feel lazzy now. Everything I ask for was in the sticky at the top on old reloading data, no wonder I had no responses. Really guys, I 'm not that stupid, just older.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2012, 12:28 AM.

Comment

no problem smokepole! things usually pick up around here in the evenings. I see youve been here for a few days, but i may have missed you so welcome to the horde! Lots of info on here, usually can do a search on the forum and pull up a good bit. Dont let the lack of responses deter you from asking a question. Everyone here enjoys helping, there are some really knowledgeable folks on here, so ask away!

Comment

• Smokepole50

Thanks for the words of encourgement ricsmall. Actually, I am a new old fart as I was on the old forum I just drifted away after other milsurp interest like the 6.5 Swedish Mauser, other SA Mausers and my latest purchase a LR260. It's a good forum as you say but there are a few names I don't see listed anymore, I guess others have dropped off the radar as well.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Welcome back!
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Working...
                    X