• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

case trimming question

What is everyone using to trim thier cases. I have the RCBS trimmer that I got in the 70's and the russian cases cant be held in either of the two collets. Dosent appear as if RCBS makes a collet to hold this case so what has everybody else used to trim to length.

Von Gruff.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I get good results using the WFT (World' Finest Trimmer):

Little Crow Gunworks developed the World's Finest Trimmer as a precision tool that will last a lifetime. One of the unique features is that the WFT uses a source of power that most reloaders already own.

If you can stomach the price, the Giraud is often considered among the very best:

The Best COD, GTA & KV Store. Cheap Prices, Speedy Reposes & Quality Services, Lots Of Proof And Vouches Too! Xbox 360 & Xbox One Consoles Only.
    Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
      What is everyone using to trim thier cases. I have the RCBS trimmer that I got in the 70's and the russian cases cant be held in either of the two collets. Dosent appear as if RCBS makes a collet to hold this case so what has everybody else used to trim to length.

Von Gruff.
      Collet #3

Comment

[QUOTE=Drifter;34055]I get good results using the WFT (World' Finest Trimmer):

This looks like it would work great.. So these are caliber specific?, no adjusting, An all you gotta do is chuck in a drill an trim away?...

no more cramping hand n forearm from turning a dang trimmer..

I see several of these in my future..

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

i use the Possum Hollow Kwik Case Trimmer

LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by capt greg View Post
            Originally posted by Drifter View Post
            I get good results using the WFT (World' Finest Trimmer):

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html
            This looks like it would work great.. So these are caliber specific?, no adjusting, An all you gotta do is chuck in a drill an trim away?...

no more cramping hand n forearm from turning a dang trimmer..

I see several of these in my future..
            They are cartridge specific. Set to trim length during initial use, then no adjustments needed again.

The WFT and Possum Hollow are similar in concept. I've used both, and consider the higher price of the WFT to be justified. It's simply better quality and seems to be a better fit on the cartridge case. Either will do the job.
            Drifter

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

Well color me blind because I could not find a reference where I looked. ( my wife says that all the time)
              In the meantime I have ordered a Lee lock stud and shell holder and believe I can get the lock stud to fit in one of the collets I have or it will be a simple matter to turn down the lock stud dia to suit. With the lock stud and shell holder in the trimmer collet it will be a simple matter to set the trimmer to the trim length I need. Have an 18 volt lithium battery drill formotive power.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• ChellieWiles

I just began using the Wilson stainless micro trimmer a couple weeks ago and it works perfect. Very smart design. link to brownells

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Von The thing I found with my Grendel chamber is that the length of it is 1.540". You plan on running the reamer in .05" deeper so your case necks may never get long enough for the case neck to come close to the face of the chamber. If you add the extra depth your chamber length could be 1.590". What you are planning is a good idea but I think you need a custom reamer made or some modifications to the reamer you have.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
                    Von The thing I found with my Grendel chamber is that the length of it is 1.540". You plan on running the reamer in .05" deeper so your case necks may never get long enough for the case neck to come close to the face of the chamber. If you add the extra depth your chamber length could be 1.590". What you are planning is a good idea but I think you need a custom reamer made or some modifications to the reamer you have.
                    Thank you Mr. Rasp.

Now perhaps folks understand when I say that in most cases, the Lapua Grendel brass will wear out before trimming is a absolute necessity.

LR1955

Comment

• rasp65
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Vom I have a 6.5x55 Ackley Improved it is merely a 6.5x55 with less taper and a 40 degree shoulder. In it the chamber length is 2.172, the 6.5x55 cases started at 2.165" when they get blown out they become 2.135". The Ackley chamber grips the case so well that there is very little if any stretch in the case. So I will always have about a .03" gap in front of the case mouth and ideally I would like about a .005" gap in this rifle. Like LR1955 I haven't found the Grendel necks to need trimming.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                        Chieftain
                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
                        I will in effect have a custom chamber as the GS will cut it to suit the cases I have made up. My reasoning goes like this. I have the 7.62 x 39 of my friends to play with and some of his reformed cases go over 1.560 in length. admitadly only a few in his box but the box of Winchester brass I have varies from 1.514 through to 1.523 and becasuse I can get the chamber mouth cut to the length I want so need to be able to trim the brass if necessary. I have finalised my case dimensions and loaded dummy rounds etc but it is going to be 6-8 weeks till the barrel gets here but my place in the work que has been noted.I will get the chamber mouth cut to 1.535 for a trim to length of 1.525. I will get a .293 neck and minimum body expansion.
                        I got a box of grendel loaded ammo and de bulleted it in a hornady press mounted collet puller), saving the individual powder charges in egg cups ( had to do this in two runs as I only had 10 eggcups) Then I expanded the necks with a 7mm expander and necked back down in my Forster FLS grendel die with the .5 spacer on the shell holder (plus a .006 shim to give a crush fit in the chamber for fireforming) and re loaded the powder and seated the A Max back in my Wilson seating die for an OAL of 2.400. Makes a really good looking cartridge and will give me about as much as the case is capable of with the ability to use slightly modified factory ammo if the need be.

Von Gruff.
                        Last edited by Von Gruff; 06-12-2012, 04:51 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• rasp65
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

Vom It looks like you have your bases covered. I was going to suggest using the false shoulder method for your cases but you said something about hydro forming. I see a lot of guys that shoot the 6mm Dasher use the same method on 6 PPC cases. I would suggest not uniforming you length until after you fireform your cases as you will see a reduction in the length.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                            Chieftain
                            • Apr 2012

I only hydroformed a case or two so the GS had a go guage case length, the rest have the false shoulder with .006 crush fit. None of the brass I have is longer than 1.523 so triming is not necessary for now, with just a VLD chamfer needed at present...but it may become necessary to trim at some stage so I wanted to have the necessary on hand when the time comes. I check cases every loading for my other rifles and this will be no different. Only do the case work that is necessary but DO the case work that is necessary.In my shed today starting the inlet of the action into the stock as it has had three days for the glue to gain maximum strength.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Working...
                            X