X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Hmmmmm. Let's talk about this-elsewhere. Pm. This pill is way too good, not to use in the mil. Yikes- maybe paul will pop in here---or not-he's been a busy guy...
    Last edited by sneaky one; 06-07-2012, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

So, vari- if we tried the Tac version of the (-gag-) LE barnes units- would that pass? Looking for a way to get the soldiers a better bullet -is all. The lite gmx is the way-I think. The gmx- in.22 cal. is avail. in 50 & 70 grn.---that 70, must be a long projectile... the lighter gmx in -6.5 are short, yet fine on accuracy.--- And way faster than .22 gmx units.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I like the lead free units.
        Last edited by sneaky one; 06-07-2012, 04:35 AM.

Comment

I'm in Finland right now. I still am interested in doing some tests with these modified GMX's, but I have a lot of pans on the fire.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
            So, vari- if we tried the Tac version of the (-gag-) LE barnes units- would that pass? Looking for a way to get the soldiers a better bullet -is all. The lite gmx is the way-I think. The gmx- in.22 cal. is avail. in 50 & 70 grn.---that 70, must be a long projectile... the lighter gmx in -6.5 are short, yet fine on accuracy.--- And way faster than .22 gmx units.
            I believe the LE version is the exact same bullet simply in a relabeled and more expensive box IIRC. Either way the point that screws the pooch is that they are specifically designed and manufactured with the intent to expand. That is specifically "against" the Hague accords. The hollow point of "Open Tipped Match" projectiles like the Sierra match kings was thought of as a no-no for years, but then given acception by the JAG. http://www.thegunzone.com/opentip-ammo.html

It basically came down to the fact that match kings and other OTM projectiles only have a hollow point as an artifact of the manufacturing process, and were never designed with the intent of expansion. Barnes TTSX, GMX, and all of the other hollow point mono alloy bullets appear to be pretty clearly designed with the specific intent of expansion in mind. I'm afraid you'd have to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch.

As for LE use--- we are under no such restrictions or agreements, and don't appear to observe any of them either. Anything goes for LE use, within reason (and of course depending upon departmental or agency policy). LOL, I'd be sporting miniature grendel calibered Raufoss rounds if I could.
            Last edited by Variable; 06-07-2012, 08:40 AM.
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Back in '94 I scetched up a bullet that would split into 3 long pieces-federal is loading a version of it for mil. use right now. It's kinda mean.. BTW- I hit 3217 w/ a 70 gmx over 29.5 RL7,- 3012 w/ a 82 gmx over 28.1 RL7. How about pulling the poly tip out =OTM.?
              Last edited by sneaky one; 06-07-2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

tx---Thanks for the gel recipe- I typed this on tuesday-must not have went thru- looks like great stuff. I have the extra fridge-and storage-can this be frozen-have you tried?
                Variable-korean food is spicy-have the wife tone it down to a--chinese level, non sechwaun.
                I have not frozen any. I read in several places no to so I didn't.
                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Back in '94 I scetched up a bullet that would split into 3 long pieces-federal is loading a version of it for mil. use right now. It's kinda mean.. BTW- I hit 3217 w/ a 70 gmx over 29.5 RL7,- 3012 w/ a 82 gmx over 28.1 RL7. How about pulling the poly tip out =OTM.?
                  That 70 gr would be an awesome coyote round.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Thats what I was thinking of trying it on. I took what was left from the saw cut-cleaned it up=a 34 gr. projectile. Turned it around-loaded it over 34.4 x-term=3439 fps., maybe good for yotes=less pelt damage. Any luck on finding a way to chuck up an I bond yet? I just picked up a 5 C spin index-collet style, to take apart to see what can become of it in a lathe... hmmm....

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Thats what I was thinking of trying it on. I took what was left from the saw cut-cleaned it up=a 34 gr. projectile. Turned it around-loaded it over 34.4 x-term=3439 fps., maybe good for yotes=less pelt damage. Any luck on finding a way to chuck up an I bond yet? I just picked up a 5 C spin index-collet style, to take apart to see what can become of it in a lathe... hmmm....
                      I haven't had much time to play with it but my thought was to make a fixture/ adapter that would use collets from a Hornady cam lock bullet puller.

Comment

...How about pulling the poly tip out =OTM.?
                        One of the claimed purposes of the poly tip is to help the bullet open a tad quicker.

One would also hesitate because the resulting open tip would be rather large and the BC takes a big hit.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Joe, that was meant as a joke. I beleive the tip serves a purpose, they can be tweaked tho-I proved that, it does not change accuracy at the range . The info I get from federal- claims the tip is mostly to catch the buyers eye, aiding in expansion-some what: ease of feeding-some what: Aiding in higher BC-somewhat. But thats probably their old school guys talking-we all know a few-the guys that should have retired at 70, not 90.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 06-08-2012, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

tx- check out the spin index, at least the idea. They are only $ 30.+ -the center pulls out-remove the handle, put a 5C- 17/64-or a 9/32 collet in it-add bullet. Can also make a poly tip supporter for the inside-on the duh- end. Looks like a 2" inside diam. or bigger chuck is all thats needed on a lathe. Or-make your own 5 C adapter on your lathe. You can make threads-Y or N ? 5C products are a well used standard= fairly cheap. I want to change to the lathe-instead of an end mill., only for ease of use for me. I borrow time on equipment-my wife would have me whacked if I bought a lathe. Your'e a lucky guy...

Comment

Working...
                            X