• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

98 gr Hornady interbond at 2700fps

Error on title...98gr GMX.

98gr Hornady GMX, 31gr of 8208 and velocity of 2700fps (from 20 BHW barrel)
    penetration in H2O was approx 20"
    Final weight was 96gr each.
    Last edited by toolsofthetrade; 06-03-2012, 10:26 PM. Reason: error

That looks like it would be nasty little pill. Have you shot for accuracy yet?

Comment

Nice pictures and even better results!

There's a lot of hype about the "all-copper" bullets and their out-of-weight class performance. For that reason and just plain old reluctance to accept something new, many of us hesitate to jump on the bandwagon.

Your results, however, suggest that even light versions of these guys expand well and show decent penetration!

One rule of thumb some folks tossed around when the first X-Bullets came out was that one could go one weight class lower (e. g. 115 vs 130 gr in .270) and expect equivalent performance. The more I see, the more it seems that rule of thumb is conservative!

Keep up the work and keep us posted!

Cheers!
      Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
        Warrior
        • May 2011

will do, I was not provided enough for an accuracy test, just this performance test, so far we hae tested the INterbond, GMX, Barnes and Accubond in similar weights, IMOHO the Hornady bullets are performing the best.
        I downed a nice whitetail last year with a 100gr Barnes read here http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...t-Grendel-Kill about how it did, I think the GMX would perform very similiar.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Tools, do you want me to make you some more GMX's ? If so, send a box. I've done the accuraccy tests w/ a 95 grn. @ 200 yds.= dime size group. JAS., from the h2o jugs testing-the performance is same as a 120 class bullet, or a tad better. I've shot thru 6-7 jugs w/ a 91 gr. gmx-mseric witnessed that one also.- we called it.. unstoppable.. The I bond and Gmx are great bullets, albiet in a lighter weight, within the confines of the sammi-ed Grr., they are the way to go. Trully amazing performance. Nice job Tools, thanks buddy.

Comment

Sneaky,

Thanks -- water is said to be somewhat more brutal on bullets than gel. The water to water comparison makes the 120 gr equivalence and apples to apples comparison easier to work with.

The 98 gr GMX impact velocity was 2700 ft/sec. What was the 120 gr bullet and impact velocity?

Thanks!

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Joe, I've shot a- 120 I bond, at 2450, a nosler 120 bt @ 2490, a sierra 120 pro hunt @ 2472 , a 120 Accubond @ 2508... None of those destroyed the first big gallon jug as brutally as the Gmx. The impact into , say a deer chest cavity- this is all that is needed for major energy transfer--- plus the bullet exits the other side- How do I know? 2 seasons ago, I hit a deer- frontal shot- the worst scenario, 100 gr. gmx flat base-2550 fps, (( my first try at tweaking the gmx)) 60 yds. away full penetration of said -dead deer. recovered the bullet in the left leg, after going thru many bones organs etc. DRT, deer. The recovered bullet found while leg was proccessed pics may be in my albums---click on my avatar then on my 3 albums. Old camera-maybe a bit blurry. I'm leaning on the- close in impact speed- w/ a super tough bullet. Hey, I know of a guy here that ooopsed,, and took a deer w/ a .177 pellet gun-he was trying to scare it away...

Comment

Thanks!

I'm looking at extending your observations to other calibers. But, in truth, you've already calibrated for the 6.5!!

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Have fun-change something up.

Comment

So, using the Hornady HITS Calculator (http://www.hornady.com/hits/calculator), we get:
                    • 120 I bond, at 2450 -- HITS Score = 723,
                    • 120 Nosler bt @ 2490 -- HITS Score = 735,
                    • 120 Sierra Pro Hunt @ 2472 -- HITS Score = 730,
                    • 120 Accubond @ 2508 -- HITS Score = 740.
                    • 98 GMX at 2700 -- HITS Score = 532

Applying the ratio of the average of the 98 gr GMX HITS score to that of the lead-core to the HITS = 501 threshold for deer-class game tells us the we would look for a score of 350 - 375 for deer-size game with the all-copper bullets.

All this tells us, of course, is that if the shooter does his or her job and gets the bullet in the vital zone then the bullet satisfying this criterion will likely do it as well.

But before taking this to the bank we need more comparative experiences in water, gel, and game!

Cheers!
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2012, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I can help with the gel...
                      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I didn't know about that calculator. Pretty neat. I just ran my subsonic load numbers. 535 @ 100 yds.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                          I can help with the gel...
                          You already have a project for your gel, you just didn't know it yet.LOL

Your mission should you choose to accept it is to take a Hornady 160 grain RN and do the following things to it:

1.) Cut a spoon shaped asymmetrical divot into the tip of the bullet.

2.) Cut or knurl a very deep cannelure into the middle of the jacket.

3.) Fire the projectile at subsonic velocity into your gel and see what happens.

Hopefully the spoon tip will cause the bullet to tumble, and because you severely weakened the bullets jacket with the overdone cannelure, it will further hopefully break into two pieces and create seperate wound tracks. Thus dumping far more energy into the gel than a normal non-expanded pass through....

If it works you might further endanger pigs everywhere.LOL

Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

LOL. Soon... I'm getting some honey-dos out of the way before go fishing this weekend then its on. I have not tried the spoon tip yet but I did drill a few off center the way that article you posted describes. Accuracy suffered some but still OK for the range they will be used in (3-4" @ 100). I haven't thought about cutting the cannelure. I need to come up with something to adapt my hornady bullet puller collets to my lathe.

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                              I didn't know about that calculator. Pretty neat. I just ran my subsonic load numbers. 535 @ 100 yds.
                              Aside from the obvious caveat "individual results on game will vary," the one thing to remember when calculating a HITS score is that one needs to use the velocity at the target distance, NOT the muzzle velocity.

This rule helps give us a measure of terminal performance part pf maximum effective range.

I would also caveat that a lot of folks report success with the .223 where the HITS scores are usually well below the magic 501 needed per Hornady.

I draw from this that, provided the bullet will expand at the minimum velocity for HITS>=501, then one has confidence that the bullet is "good enough" if the hunter does his part...

Comment

Working...
                              X