• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA_Allen
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

9 groups with various loads

I headed to the range yesterday with the "leftovers" from various lots of ammo that I had loaded up. It had been a while since I actually shot my Grendel over a bench and I wanted to empty some brass and punch some holes. I set up on a shaded benchrest at 100 yds; sandbags front and rear. All groups were fired through my 20" Lothar Walther Barrel with the CSS chamber. The groups were shot in order 1 - 9 starting at the bottom horizontal row of bulls moving left to right and then moving up to the row above, left to right etc. The barrel was not allowed to cool or cleaned between strings. I had to stop several times during the strings to help my buddy who was sighting in his .45-70 (notice the 3 .45 cal holes in my target )
    100 yds is pretty forgiving, but there was no obvious adverse effects of changing powder or bullet manufacturer without cleaning between strings.
    Here is a photo of the targets. The orange dots were the point of aim and the pink dots were the desired point of impact (1.5" above POA at 100 yds for 200 yd zero).

Here is a table of the results:

All loads were in Lapua or Hornady brass with Rem 7.5 primers. I was pleased with the consistency of the results. The Grendel has never been finicky for me concerning loads or seating depth....the limitation in the system is how well I can hold and squeeze the trigger. I was struggling with consistent bag tracking with my adjustable stock, so I think the "flyers" are more due to operator error than the load or rifle. It was a fun day at the range, and now I've got more empty brass to load.
    Best,
    PA

nice, looks like a good day at the range

Comment

• skyfish
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

I know it's been a little while, but have any velocity on the TAC loads? Also, do you see a pressure difference between Lapua and Hornady brass?

Comment

• PA_Allen
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Skyfish,
        I can not locate any of my chrono data on the 123 amax and TAC. I would estimate that the load is running just over 2400 fps from my 20" barrel. I located data where I was getting about 2415 fps with 29 gr TAC and the 120 NBT and 120 Sierra Pro Hunter. I see no pressure difference between the Lapua and Hornady brass, but other have reported differently.
        Best,
        PA

Comment

Nice job.

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

I apreciate the dilema of having all your brass loaded and having to "empty a few" so you can spend some time on the loadimg bench. I find myself having to do that regularly. You had a good day by the look of the paper.

Von Gruff.
            http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
            Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Von, I agree also about emptying brass, but,, sometimes we all have to pull bullets--instead,,,, load- up-or down , at the range! I welded up a steel tripod-portable press holder-so I can load at the range,etc. it's rigid, yet a folding model is in the works. I also welded up a post-w/ a flat top to drill to any presses hole pattern--to bolt to a receiver hitch-in place of a trailer ball. That's another beauty of shooting in a gravel pit-woods, no one watches over you w/ rules. PA- I use some of those orange stickys too-good groups for a fellow hunter! Nice!
              Last edited by sneaky one; 06-26-2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X