Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65G_Sethum

What is a good single stage press?

I was looking at the RCBS Rock chucker supreme master kit.
  • Dogue
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

The Rock Chucker is a good press that will likely outlast you.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 65G_Sethum View Post
      I was looking at the RCBS Rock chucker supreme master kit.
      I've loaded thousands of rounds on mine, (now for the shameless plug!) and I happen to have a brand new, in box, kit for sale. (I found a spectacular deal on them and bought 2 more in February.)

I have 2 of these for sale. They are new in box. http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=45505/Product/ROCK-CHUCKER-SUPREME-MASTER-RELOADING-KIT Find the best advertised price and PM me, I'll try to match or beat it!
      Last edited by bwaites; 05-20-2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

1+ on the Rockchucker!
        Phil

Comment

• pinzgauer
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

I learned on Rockchuckers. But have a Forster (really Bonanza) coax since late 80's, and would never go back. They are a bit more pricy, but you make it up in not needing shellholders, and I find the leverage/"feel" to be much, much faster. Caliber changes faster. Lot's of advantages.

This will be the heart of your reloading station... if you can afford it, I'd skip the intermediate steps.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Forsters are great presses. I really thought I wanted one, then stokesrj posted this:

"If your going to get a Forster CoAx there are a couple of negatives you should be aware of. It is a quality piece of equipment but the shell holder jaws require reversing them between many calibers and for us the most common, 6.5 Grendel and .223 require they be reversed to change between them which is a tedious chore. It requires unscrewing two allen head screws and maintaining control of two captured springs, fail to do this and you are looking for a spring that you heard hit the far wall of the room but not sure where it went from there.
            Then the handle stroke is different because it is over the top and has a longer arch to it. Depending on the bench height this can be awkward, I much prefer the downward stroke of a conventional press. The handle is much to long for short cases like the Grendel, but they make a short handle for it which works much better, but then changing the handle is and extra step when you need more leverage like for your 7mmWSM. There is a set screw that holds the handle in place and I managed to strip the threads on mine changing back and forth. The primer catch jar is nice and works well but i have had mine work loose and dump 500 primers on the floor of my den. There are a few other issues as well that I discovered over 20 years of hard use. I started with a Rock Chucker back in 1969 and over all I liked it better other than the primer mess. I gave it to a friend when I bought the then Bonanza CoAx and he still uses it.
            Now a days I mostly load on my Dillon 550 or 650 but I still use a single stage press for my 600 yard line loads or some of my hunting calibers that I don't load in volume. I went with the Redding Big Boss II because it collects the spent primers in a drop tube much like the CoAx but it spills about two or three percent out the ram cut. The Redding T7 uses the same primer catch system."

I reconsidered, and I'm still loading on my Rockchucker!

BUT....its almost like asking about barrel break in procedures! Lots of opinions, and they probably all work!
            Last edited by bwaites; 05-20-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• pinzgauer
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              Forsters are great presses. I really thought I wanted one, then stokesrj posted this:

snip

UT....its almost like asking about barrel break in procedures! Lots of opinions, and they probably all work!
              He's right about the .223 to "large base" shell holders issue. I can change them in a minute, but you do have to be careful.

But I never have to change shellholders for anything but .223, every other caliber it just flat out works. And has the advantage of being self centering, which is one of the big accuracy advantages.

I will never say anything bad about the Rockchucker. But the forster is just in a different league... smooth, many intangibles.

The leverage and handle swing is different. What he does not say in that review is that much of the swing on the Forster is lighter, less pressure required. Something about how the compound leverage is timed, and is due to the shell holder platform & linkages vs the RAM approach on others. I'd have to put two side by side to nail down the differences, but once you use one, you are convinced. If forster was smart they'd be at gun shows with demo setups, it would sell them. (Then again, given who I see at gun shows lately, maybe not!)

I do not want to load .223 on a single stage anyway, not unless PMC or similar dries up. Just not worth my time or expense. If it did, I'd have to go to a progressive and just dedicate it to .223 and maybe .40

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                He's right about the .223 to "large base" shell holders issue. I can change them in a minute, but you do have to be careful.

But I never have to change shellholders for anything but .223, every other caliber it just flat out works. And has the advantage of being self centering, which is one of the big accuracy advantages.

I will never say anything bad about the Rockchucker. But the forster is just in a different league... smooth, many intangibles.

The leverage and handle swing is different. What he does not say in that review is that much of the swing on the Forster is lighter, less pressure required. Something about how the compound leverage is timed, and is due to the shell holder platform & linkages vs the RAM approach on others. I'd have to put two side by side to nail down the differences, but once you use one, you are convinced. If forster was smart they'd be at gun shows with demo setups, it would sell them. (Then again, given who I see at gun shows lately, maybe not!)

I do not want to load .223 on a single stage anyway, not unless PMC or similar dries up. Just not worth my time or expense. If it did, I'd have to go to a progressive and just dedicate it to .223 and maybe .40
                Roger that! I load only my long range .223 on a single stage, though I do load all my Grendel and 7mm on it.

Any other .223 and all pistol goes on a friends progressive, though I am in the process of setting up a small Lee progressive for .45.

I've played with the Forsters, and I really do like them. I might set one up for my Grendel and 7mm.....hmmmmmm!

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

which "small Lee progressive"?
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                    which "small Lee progressive"?
                    Progressive 1000

Comment

Originally posted by Dogue View Post
                      The Rock Chucker is a good press that will likely outlast you.
                      +1 for the Rock Chucker. It's a super solid single stage that will handle most everything in stride. For precision single loading, it really can't be beat. Mine is mounted a few feet away from my Dillon.

Comment

How are the hornady lock n load single stage press kits?

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

Thanks for everyones responses, I will take a look at the forsters.

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

Ok so I took a look at the Forster and I really like the concept of it, however I think im just going to get a rock chucker considering how many people like it and it seems to have a very good rep.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 65G_Sethum View Post
                              Ok so I took a look at the Forster and I really like the concept of it, however I think im just going to get a rock chucker considering how many people like it and it seems to have a very good rep.
                              Seth:

Given the choice between single stage presses, you are going for a RCBS press of any style over a Bonnanza Coax? Unless your decision is based on price, you are making a mistake. The shell holder isn't the issue. Ram / die alignment is. The Coax press allows for a perfect alignment between the die and the ram because the press is designed to allow the die to float. So, as the cartridge goes into the die, the die will move so as to allow for perfect alignment. No RCBS press equals the Coax for ease of use and precision.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
                              X