Seating Bullet Deformation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seating Bullet Deformation

Never had a problem with any cartridge until the Grendel. When I seated bullet with the original seater stem in my Wilson seater, it would leave a distinct ring cut into the bullet. Called Wilson and they said to replace it with a VLD seater stem so I did. Now the Scenars actually get dented when I seat them over 27.9 grains of 8208, which is slightly compressed even after trickling it though a drop tube. Are the Scenars just softer than most bullets? Would like to use the load and the bullet, but I can't have them being deformed upon seating.
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I've had that issue with several other calibers in the past when doing compressed loads. Usually a proper seating stem helps. There was a thread on here about vibrating the cases before seating your bullet to settle the powder. Can't seem to find it but you may give it a try.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

The reason Sceenars and other similar designed bullets will deform is because they are a hollow jacket at the point the stem contacts the nose, there is no lead core to support it internally because the led core is shorter, it doesn't fill that far forward.

Since you have two stems, you can bed one of them with epoxy to fit the bullet perfectly. Just coat a bullet with wax, mix the epoxy, fill the stem with the epoxy and then just sit it on top of a bullet. Be careful that the stem is aligned with the bullet properly and after the epoxy has partially set you can remove the excess.

Are you sure you don't have to much neck tension, or insufficient bevel of the case mouth? I load 28.5 grains behind the 123 A-Max and get no deformation.

Bob
      Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2012, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Do I dare use the seater body to align the bullet properly? Might epoxy the seater stem to the body.

Comment

If your careful you can do it that way, just use a fully loaded round and wipe off any excess epoxy before inserting it into the die body and let it cure only partially. I usually mix the epoxy on a paper plate and watch the remaining epoxy to tell me how firm the epoxy in the seating stem is getting.
          Bob

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Nice trick with the epoxy.
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
              The reason Sceenars and other similar designed bullets will deform is because they are a hollow jacket at the point the stem contacts the nose, there is no lead core to support it internally because the led core is shorter, it doesn't fill that far forward.

Since you have two stems, you can bed one of them with epoxy to fit the bullet perfectly. Just coat a bullet with wax, mix the epoxy, fill the stem with the epoxy and then just sit it on top of a bullet. Be careful that the stem is aligned with the bullet properly and after the epoxy has partially set you can remove the excess.

Are you sure you don't have to much neck tension, or insufficient bevel of the case mouth? I load 28.5 grains behind the 123 A-Max and get no deformation.

Bob
              Gave it a little more chamfer and used some dry neck lube (which I've had lying around for years and never use) and they seated just fine!! Thanks for the heads up, I get tunnel vision sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                ...snip...There was a thread on here about vibrating the cases before seating your bullet to settle the powder. Can't seem to find it but you may give it a try.
                Am in the early stages of loading for Grendel, now having two only enhances the possibilities. Just acquired an AA barreled 18" and also have a 24" Satern to work with. Here's my issue-am using available info, in new or once fired Lapua brass and just starting in on some fresh Hornady brass, as well. Using Redding

Just used it yesterday to settle powder with some Barnes TTSX. Since I wrote that, I switched from an eraser to a piece of HDPE over the tip. It transfers the higher frequencies more efficiently.
                Continuous Process Improvement.

Hoot

Comment

I started Annealing the cases after 3 firings and there is almost no marks on the tips. They seat with less effort.

Comment

Working...
                  X