• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Konocti's Wigwam
    Warrior
    • Sep 2023

Starline 6.5 Grendel Nickel Plated brass at Midway

This brass just came back in stock yesterday.

It's been about 4 months that MidwayUSA has been out of nickel plated.

KW
    From my cold dead endmill...
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I bought 400 of these a few years back. The nickel scratched my Hornady die. The scratched Hornady die scratched my brass. The circle of life continued through the 4-5 pop primer pocket life. It was easy to pick-up at the range or at matches, though!
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      I bought 400 of these a few years back. The nickel scratched my Hornady die. The scratched Hornady die scratched my brass. The circle of life continued through the 4-5 pop primer pocket life. It was easy to pick-up at the range or at matches, though!
      Can't say we have had much luck with any nickel plated brass over the years. Notorious for malfunctions and cracking in handguns. Never tried it for rifle for the same reasons. Not even sure why it is being made other than it probably holds up to salt water better than brass.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

+1. From a materials standpoint, when you make something harder, which nickel brass is compared to regular, it also becomes more brittle, thus "crackable". Always some kind of tradeoff.
        I've got some nickel brass Sig (factory ammo) in 6 Creed that I won't be resizing, maybe trade it but otherwise it's of no use to me. I'm not going to chance ruining my 6CM dies, they're not carbide.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
          Warrior
          • Sep 2023

Wow, I hadn't thought about the nickel scratching the brass/dies, or the dies damaging the brass after that. I have some nickel plated Starline brass for 300 blackout, and it's a lot thicker than the standard brass and the cases seems thicker and stronger.

When I got that notice I was feeling a bit bad, as I bought non-coated Starline brass which is still waiting for the first firing, but maybe that was the better choice...

@grayfox we need to make a song out of your tag line...it's got some ring to it! LOL

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

It's a blend of an old high school chant and extension from Stonehenge's tag... well and everyone else who
            L-o-o-o-o-o-o-v-e-s ole Brandon.
            lo-sarcastic-l.
            one thing the leftist hate is to be laughed at. Let's help them boil over in such emotions !!!
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              Can't say we have had much luck with any nickel plated brass over the years. Notorious for malfunctions and cracking in handguns. Never tried it for rifle for the same reasons. Not even sure why it is being made other than it probably holds up to salt water better than brass.
              I've actually had quite a bit of luck with nickel plated Speer brass I use for my Glock 35 (40 S&W) in order to differentiate it from my 10mm ammo. Maybe it doesn't malfunction because its a Glock

This is what the nickel Starline (converted to 6 ARC) looks like after 5x. I don't know why I still have it - I won't put it in my Mighty Armory die.

nickel arc brass.jpg
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                Warrior
                • Sep 2023

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                It's a blend of an old high school chant and extension from Stonehenge's tag... well and everyone else who
                L-o-o-o-o-o-o-v-e-s ole Brandon.
                lo-sarcastic-l.
                one thing the leftist hate is to be laughed at. Let's help them boil over in such emotions !!!
                I guess I love Brandon, in a vindictive way...

I'm more than willing to help them boil over. There's a lot of court cases going right now, but things keep going up/down.

In the end we're gonna get them, IMO. I feel that confident that we are going to make some traction this time around.

Many state laws dropping like flies over Bruen...as the saying goes, "Lead, follow or get outta the way..."

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2023

Maybe it doesn't malfunction because its a Glock
                  Maybe, but I've never been too fond of them because they're basically made out of plastic. They do seem to be
                  the most popular handguns of the modern day...but paint me a 1911 man, if I need to use a handgun. It just
                  feels good in my hand and there is no question if a round goes off. That, and there wasn't any Glock kits in 80%
                  when I built my 1911s.

This is what the nickel Starline (converted to 6 ARC) looks like after 5x.
                  Ah, I see what you mean. Does that mean your dies have striations/scratches that match those all around the die body?

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

I've actually had quite a bit of luck with nickel plated Speer brass I use for my Glock 35 (40 S&W) in order to differentiate it from my 10mm ammo. Maybe it doesn't malfunction because its a Glock

This is what the nickel Starline (converted to 6 ARC) looks like after 5x. I don't know why I still have it - I won't put it in my Mighty Armory die.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20233[/ATTACH]
                    Sure you didn't blast that stuff through a G-3? Boy, that stuff is scary.

I haven't seen Speer stuff for a long time. Am happy they are still kicking.

Comment

Working...
                    X