• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIANEB
    Warrior
    • Oct 2020

Load data for 100gr TTSX?

I picked up a couple of boxes of Barnes 100gr TTSX...
    Just wondering what powders you guys are having the best results with?
    I'm going use these bullets for pigs...
    Thanks in advance...
  • MOW
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2023

The Barnes online manual has some good loads listed.

Comment

• PA_Allen
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

29 to 30 grains of H335 or XBR 8208 has worked for many folks. I hunted with 30 gr of either behind the 100 TTSX for years with good results.
      - PA

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

Where does one find 8208 these days? Inquiring minds would like to know.
        Last edited by Zeneffect; 07-29-2023, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Old Bob
          Warrior
          • Oct 2019

Zen ... XBR 8208 is made in Australia. IIRC, the factory where it's made had some problems. I think forum member Klem might be able to say what those problems are. It might be a long time before we see anymore 8208 ...
          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
            Zen ... XBR 8208 is made in Australia. IIRC, the factory where it's made had some problems. I think forum member Klem might be able to say what those problems are. It might be a long time before we see anymore 8208 ...
            Guys,

My info source is from Australian Defence Industries website (now called 'Australian Munitions'), and from what I hear from talking to fellow shooters and dealers. I don't have any contacts at the Mulwala plant. Mulwala on the NSW/Victoria border is Australia's only defence industry propellant plant. Apparently they are working overtime producing powder and explosives for various projects. One project is making 155mm shells for Ukraine. This in cooperation with France - they supply the cases and Australia the propellant and filler. Lockheed M have also recently set up shop in Mulwala for a joint guided weapons project with Thales (France), who owns Australian Munitions. Recent shocks to the nation has boosted the urgency for sovereign capability. I say this because you can imagine how distracted the plant is at the moment relative to the production of something basic and low demand as 8208. From their website, about powders including 8208 in less demand;

Production of these propellants is less frequent when compared with the core range (AR2206(H), AR2208, AR2209, AR2213SC and AR2217) but we still endeavour to make them in line with market demand.

The Hodgdon equivalent of those 'higher demand' powders.
            2206H - H4895
            2208 - Varget
            2209 - H4350
            2213 - H4831
            2217 - H1000

They were also saying that during COVID propellant demand skyrocketed.

Unfortunately it seems 8208 is not a 'high demand' powder. It is being made but just not constantly. The website also reports powders are made in batches and take 6 months from start to distribution. I just checked on a local dealers website and it is available here, but in the past couple of years has been sketchy. One rifle powder that ADI ceased production of is Trail Boss - they are saying it's due to 'active research and development project associated with its manufacturing optimisation'. Please don't ask me to translate.

There is an ongoing issue with ADI's handgun series of powders. They are no longer being made and who knows when they will. I don't think ADI ever exported its handgun powders so it won't affect you guys.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Hey Klem, not to hijack but H4895 has also been scarce as hen's teeth for a while now. Have you heard anything about that one...
              thanks.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• DIANEB
                Warrior
                • Oct 2020

I have
                A2460
                H335
                TAC
                Benchmark
                A2520
                A2200
                A2230
                CFE223
                H4895
                RL-7
                RL-10
                LVR
                BL-C2
                IMR3031
                Last edited by DIANEB; 07-30-2023, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                  Hey Klem, not to hijack but H4895 has also been scarce as hen's teeth for a while now. Have you heard anything about that one...
                  thanks.
                  GF,

Nothing specific. Both powders on the shelves here, which is more than they were during COVID.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

O well, thanks, sure could use some more over here...
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                      O well, thanks, sure could use some more over here...
                      Mate, I'd gladly swap you powder for bullets, but I don't think that would work somehow...

Haven't seen Bergers in almost two years (only one distributor in Oz). Sierra is more popular but also backordered for a few months.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

East,

Sure, we can use Benchmark 2. It's a little faster than 8208. ADI and Hodgdon has Grendel loads for BM2 on their websites. BM2, 8208 and 4895 are all single-based powders made by ADI. So more temp stable, but less energetic (less velocity) than double-based.

Comment

• EastTNHunter
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2021

Klem, sorry for the confusion, but my post was in response to the OP and her subsequent list of powders for the projectile in question.

I appreciate all of the information that you provide from down under, especially in reference to ADI

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

East,

Mate, whoops, I thought you might be - Apologies too.

That said, BM2 is good powder, I use it for 223 and would use it if 8208 was not around, for light bullets.

Klem.

Comment

Working...
                            X