• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rngrfromthemtns
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2021

Maker bullets BC

Hi guys. I've been shooting 123SSTs for deer for the last few years and they work great. One property that I gained access last fall requires the use of non-lead and I've been using Hammers in my other rifles for years but being a tinkerer I couldn't resist the urge to dive into other options. I stumbled across Maker bullets and notice the Grendel Horde seems to have a pretty good following. So down the rabbithole I go and one thing that I'm curious about is the BC of Maker Bullets and couldn't find much out there.. Of course it shouldn't matter since all shots should be confirmed regardless of what the box says. It seems smaller companies aren't able to run their bullets across a doppler system to get BCs and many are calculated based on drop in a relatively small dataset.

Do you feel that Maker Bullets BCs are accurate?
  • cagray07
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2022

Yes they are accurate my 20" Odin works barrel will shoot .750 group at 100yds all day long with them. I'm using the 110 grain tipped pushed with XBR8208 powder.
    Last edited by cagray07; 05-04-2023, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by rngrfromthemtns View Post
      It seems smaller companies aren't able to run their bullets across a doppler system to get BCs and many are calculated based on drop in a relatively small dataset.
      mgr,

Labradar uses the Doppler effect to determine velocities. If you have access to one you can determine your bullet's BC.

Here's an example using 32 rounds across the Labradar. Then plugging the average velocities into JBM's BC-by-velocity calculator.

120NBT BC.jpg

Note the lower calculated BC's than the single 0.458 the manufacturer claims. This is unsurprising because manufacturers are tempted to list the highest BC their testing gave them, because the higher BC's sell more bullets. I am sure in certain conditions the 120NBT would be 0.458 however at slower velocities like the Grendel it will be lower, and keeps getting lower as the bullet heads downrange.

Comment

Working...
      X