X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Bob
    Warrior
    • Oct 2019

Barnes Bullets VOR-TX 6.5 Grendel 115 gr Tipped TSX Boat-Tail Ammo at Vizards

$41.99/box of 20. Considering the cost of these bullets as components, the price ain't that bad.

I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

They were underwhelming in my howa 20". I even got some 115 bullets for reloading but when compared to the 100's which get much better MV, they don't seem to fit for me in the Grendel. I've got them on my creedmoor shelf instead (for my 20" Creed).
    If you've got a longer tube than 20", and IIRC you might, maybe they will develop a good speed for you.
    I was hoping for 2550 in my howa but think I only got into the low 2500's.
    Maker has some 110's which, while they still haven't lived up to what I would look for, I haven't spent a lot of time on them.

Right now I'm trying to "shoot what I got" so to speak, to keep the budget in line.
    I have lots of hdy 120, 123 and nosler 120's, along with 100 ttsx's. And they are turning out to be decent for me.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BlogSarge
      Warrior
      • Nov 2018

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Maker's is a 110 (Trex), which the owner told me was designed for Grendel speeds.
        The Barnes is 115 gr, it functions at Grendel speed but don't recall that it is specifically a Grendel bullet...

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Barnes 115gr TAC-TX Gel Results

Looks like it needs at least 1800fps.

Would be interesting to see it from full muzzle velocity and RPMs at 300yds.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Old Bob
            Warrior
            • Oct 2019

Grayfox ... I didn't buy any. Just posted their availability as information for the Horde. I already have some 115gr TTSX's bullets plus s**t-loads of the same bullets you have & Nosler 129gr ABLRs as well. Wanted some 105gr Sierra Blitzkings but I kept coming up short when trying to order them online. They were there, then poof, they were gone.
            I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

TBH, I had hopes for that 115-er. But doesn't look like they will fulfill that hope.
              MV for the ammo from the howa was 2450 ES around 27-ish... the Barnes factory Ammo that is.
              In my 20" Creed I've had charges from 2805 to ~2850 so that has more potential. But even there, I've got too many other good performers to mess around much with them. Maybe one day, however.

Comment

Working...
              X