• TedBrewer5
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

Neck tension

• LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I have never crimped Grendel.

I think crimping makes sense with heavy-recoiling cartridges that have a lot of projectile mass, neither of which are the case with 6.5 Grendel.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

I had a bad grendel die that wouldn't size the necks tight enough. Only found out after loading 100 rounds and was able to pull the bullets out by hand every one I tried.

I crimped it, then sent it. Still sub moa out to 550 yards. Crimp was only there to keep the bullets from literally falling out. On the extreme of nearly no neck tension it seemed to be irrelevant to accuracy
      Last edited by Zeneffect; 02-21-2023, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Mark611
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

My neck tension on my case is ran thru a expander mandrel on new brass, then neck sized with a Lee collet die, after I seat the bullet, I use a factory crimp die that just barley puts any pressure on the crimp on the neck, I don't know if it's needed or not? but it makes me feel a bit better knowing I did, my last loads I loaded awhile back I think I over crimped them and adjusted my Crimp die? I had to pull 1 bullet and it crimped a ring into the bullet, so I backed it way off! last Sunday my last loads for my 6.5GRR produced some of the best loads I have made for my rifle, I think my Collet mandrel is about 2.5k under bullet DIA, IMO 4k under may be too tight? the good thing about Lee is you can order a mandrel in any DIA you want that will replace the mandrel that came in the collet die for about $10 bucks? they use to be 5 bucks + shipping a few years ago so I don't know the cost today? but this would be a cheap way to find the correct size that would work for you IMO, I started using LEE collet dies for all my calibers a long time ago and I see no reason to use anything else that's how well they work for me!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X