• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vaguru
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2022

Hornady 120ELDM vs Hornady ELDM bullet comparison

I have been shooting the Hornady 120ELDM out of my 20" barrel AR. Handloads with both H335 and W748 in both PPU and Hornady cases. All loads with COL of 2.200" allowing for a .020" jump.

With PPU and H335 my most accurate load chronos at 2535 fps with ES of 5 fps. This load is 26.0 grs using either WSR or Rem 7 1/2 primer, and is .4 gr under max for Hornady manual with Hornady case.

With PPU case and W748 my most accurate load chronos 2570 fps with ES of 9 fps. This load is 28.0 grs again with either primer, and is 2.1 gr under max for Hornady manual with Hornady case.

Using Hornady case and H335 most accurate load chronos 2478 fps with ES 29 fps. This load is 26.0 grs , WSR primer, and is .4 gr under max for Hornady manual using all specified components.

Using Hornady case and W748 most accurate load chronos 2572 fps with ES 18 fps. This load 29.0 gr, WSR or Rem 7 1/2 primer and is 1.1 gr below max for Hornady manual.

I changed primers due to having intermittent central primer leak at anvil center, WSR only .021" thickness whereas the Rem 7 1/2 is .025" thick. It has only been 2 times in 100 rds (load didn't matter starting of mid way), but that was enough to make me change to something else I had. No issues since changing primers, if anything the Rem primer might be a tad more consistent with lower ES. I had done primer changes with same load years ago when shooting shooting service rifle with 223 and so had no reservations about the change.

All these loads group under MOA at 100 yds and most around half MOA.

Now for my questions.

I feel my velocities with these loads are acceptable, any need to test further with other powders?

Changing from 120ELDM to 123ELDM to gain just that bit more BC .486 to .506 is not my main concern, but will I be able to achieve the same velocity and accuracy with the 123ELDM as I currently experience? Knowing the difference in bullet ogives, am wondering if that is possible while staying within accepted pressure limits and still stay within magazine length?

I also am interested in the hunting aspect of both bullets. I have read this forum extensively and found where both are used on deer sized game with success. Is one better than the other in this regard?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• vaguru
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2022

LRRPF52,

Thanks so much for the reply, it is exactly what I hoped for. Yes, my thinking was the same as you mentioned, expected velocity and superb accuracy, so if it isn't broken...

Thanks for the input on the bullets as well, I didn't know about the change from A-Max to ELD-M and expansion qualities. I was aware of the difference in the ogives, tangent and secant but not that the BC was inflated.

So far I have 4 firings on the SRP PPU cases, no issues as of yet with cases. I'm not into case annealing so I'll see how long these and the Hornady cases do for longevity.

Thanks again for the reply as stated previously, exactly what I hoped for, and from the best informed forum member from my reading of this whole forum!

Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X