Minimal equipment required for loading 6.5 Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenn54
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2020

Minimal equipment required for loading 6.5 Grendel?

Can you guys recommend a minimal setup for reloading 6.5 Grendel? Factory loads are still not easy or cheap to find. Would reloading be any less expensive? Are the components getting any easier to find? Appreciate any info. Thanks.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Glenn,

What loading equipment do you already have?

Handloading the same components as factory is always cheaper. That assumes you don't put a dollar value on your time, or factor in the fixed costs of the equipment. The cost of your equipment is amortized over the life of your reloading. You will learn a lot about how it all works by hand-loading, and should be able to load more accurate ammo than what you can buy.

Comment

• Rusty Shackelford
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2018

It also depends on how much you plan to shoot. If you're only going to plink and/or hunt a few times a year, then factory ammo will probably be cheaper.

If however, you will be training and shooting in competitions or plinking every weekend, then reloading can definitely save you some money. Maybe not as much as a few years ago but still cheaper than factory.

I personally wouldn't factor in the cost of equipment and manuals as part of the initial cost of reloading. I consider these items an investment in the future.
      R.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Glenn:

Also, run some searches or look through the thread titles under Reloading (here).

There are a number of threads on equipment based on how much a guy shoots, plus a discussion on reloading costs. I haven't seen such a discussion in about a year though so you may have to go back some time.

A good idea is to present the guys with your needs from reloading and the gear you are looking at. I would surely run gear decisions past the guys here before spending the money because quality reloading gear is expensive an a second or third opinion is good.

Do not buy a kit is about all I will recommend here and now. Spend the money on components, even if they are from different companies. The threads that exist have good listings of quality gear so do some searching.

LR-55

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Reloading may be less expensive per round but you will shoot more so end up spending more

Comment

• Harpoon1
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 02-16-2023, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
              Reloading may be less expensive per round but you will shoot more so end up spending more
              What HE ^ said.

Comment

• TedBrewer5
                Warrior
                • Dec 2019

Comment

• se3388
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2011

What the guys said. To start with the minimum would be,
                  cases
                  primers with some type of primer seater
                  powder
                  powder dispenser (dipper or measure)
                  scale if using powder measure
                  bullets
                  press, hand or bench mount
                  dies
                  shell holder
                  lube
                  loading manual/ manufacturers website

I believe that might be the bare basics but then we start wanting to get this little neat accessory and then that one and before long we have a bunch of reloading toys. I probably have forgot something but not the firearm. Don't need it to reload just to put them to use after the reloading fun is over, LOL.

Steve...........

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

The absolute best and most important resource you will have in reloading is a competent mentor who has been doing it safely for decades.

They will also be able to steer you into tools and equipment that will help you, and away from some that are a waste of money or not as effective.
                    Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-15-2023, 08:52 PM. Reason: Self-correcting grammar nazi
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• se3388
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2011

Knew I would forget something.

Steve..........

Comment

• Constitutionalist
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by se3388 View Post
                        cases
                        powder
                        bullets
                        dies
                        shell holder
                        lube

I believe that might be the bare basics but then we start wanting to get this little neat accessory and then that one and before long we have a bunch of reloading toys. I probably have forgot something but not the firearm. Don't need it to reload just to put them to use after the reloading fun is over, LOL.

Steve...........

I agree with everything Steve says. You start with the basics. Now I have 3 single stage metallic presses, 2 hand presses, 2 Pro 1000s, and 5 assorted shotgun presses. These are divided up between my home and my camp. The only cartridges I can load at home but not the Camp are .410s and 50BMG. It becomes an addiction....

John

Comment

• Bonas
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2022

Components are getting easier to find. You might as well shoot factory to build a supply of brass, though. I wouldn't bother with putting together a reloading set up until you have at least 500 rounds of brass. The next few times you see factory ammo that your gun shoots well, buy all of it you possibly can. That's step 1 for reloading.

I've put together a somewhat minimalist set up that produces accurate ammo and a reasonable production rate. I'll try to remember to post it up tomorrow.

Comment

• GitU1
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2023

Originally posted by se3388 View Post
                            cases
                            powder
                            bullets
                            dies
                            shell holder
                            lube

Steve...........
                            I would add a digital caliper and case/head space gage for the caliber you intend to reload. It can save you a lot of time having to pull loaded rounds back apart

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                              X