• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Mimic the factory hornady black load?

Have any tried to duplicate the hornady black and if so what does the recipe look like?
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

30gr cfe223, 450 primer, hornady case, 123eldm is what I got in my notes
    2583fps 7sd

Black ran 2535 sd 13 for me. Same gun, same day.

Comment

• Ryno785
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2022

What barrel length and how was the accuracy with CFE223?

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• Zeneffect
          Chieftain
          • May 2020

22" barrel. Accuracy was as good as the factory ammo, which is at 1moa.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Thanks, is cfe223 what we think Hornady uses? Is it one of the faster powders?

Comment

• Harpoon1
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
              Thanks, is cfe223 what we think Hornady uses? Is it one of the faster powders?
              Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-17-2023, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

So is the general consensus there's better powders period to achieve equal or better velocities than hornady black? I see the other thread on recommended powders with lots favouring 8208, ar-comp, h335 etc....will these easily match black speeds as well?

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

So is the general consensus there's better powders period to achieve equal or better velocities than hornady black? I see the other thread on recommended powders with lots favouring 8208, ar-comp, h335 etc....will these easily match black speeds as well?
                    Have had a keg of Lever laying around for a couple of years now and finally got around to trying some. Wow. Can’t believe the ES/SD numbers I’m seeing with it, especially being a spherical powder. Maybe Im late to the party and shouldn’t be surprised. Anyway........... Howa HB 20” Lever/Hornady Brass/ CCI 400 123 ELD-M 2.366
                    Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-19-2023, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2020

8208xbr is a little slower, but not temp sensitive and can be touchy with the 123s. I run 28.2 at 1.660 cbto in a 28" barrel for ~2700fps (ar platform, single feed)

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

I'm finally contemplating reloading for the Grendel or at least looking for the things I'll need. Happy factory shooter here usually keeping 1000 plus rounds on hand and we really only hunt but temp sensitive is a thing in my part of world I suppose, most shooting will be done near average of 41f or 5c. I'm happy with hornady black velocities, and we only run bolt action, got a bucket of once fired brass and just starting my homework. Maybe that target would mimic black velocity and be the most temp tolerant?

I don't think I'll need to experiment with powders and nor do I need get max speeds available either, a reliable easy to replicate at essentially black speeds or a bit faster would be fine. Then I can stock up on 123's, whatever powder I settle on, then start looking for all the other goodies I would need to start rolling my own. Feel free to build me a list and or a load of a minimalist approach to these goals and thanks for the inputs so far.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-17-2023, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

I'm finally contemplating reloading for the Grendel or at least looking for the things I'll need. Happy factory shooter here usually keeping 1000 plus rounds on hand and we really only hunt but temp sensitive is a thing in my part of world I suppose, most shooting will be done near average of 41f or 5c. I'm happy with hornady black velocities, and we only run bolt action, got a bucket of once fired brass and just starting my homework. Maybe that target would mimic black velocity and be the most temp tolerant?

I don't think I'll need to experiment with powders and nor do I need get max speeds available either, a reliable easy to replicate at essentially black speeds or a bit faster would be fine. Then I can stock up on 123's, whatever powder I settle on, then start looking for all the other goodies I would need to start rolling my own. Feel free to build me a list and or a load of a minimalist approach to these goals and thanks for the inputs so far.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Harpoon1
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X