• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trubulator
    Warrior
    • Aug 2022

Maker T Rex?

I was looking at the 110 grain bullet. I have some 120 grain Hornady CX for testing, but my guess is that I will struggle to get the kind of range I want given velocity limits of the cartridge and the 2000+ FPS this bullet needs for expansion. Maker lists its 110 as having an impressive .45 ballistic coefficient. What is minimum expansion velocity on these? Do you just use load data for any other bullet of the same weight?
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I talked to him before ordering, and he told me that the grendel bullets will open at "grendel velocities". they're supposed to be good for anything down to 1000 ke as far as opening.
    I tried a few by interpolating between the 100 and 120 ttsx... but haven't formed any conclusions yet. I think they should be good using adjusted barnes data, but definitely start low and work up.
    I got their 110 tipped variety also.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

I use the maker 110g for hunting and love them. They also shoot fantastic. Typically .7 moa out of my 12". I did not get the plastic tipped.

Comment

• trubulator
        Warrior
        • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
        I use the maker 110g for hunting and love them. They also shoot fantastic. Typically .7 moa out of my 12". I did not get the plastic tipped.
        What is terminal performance like? What range have you made kills?

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

I got a new cell phone and all my strelok info didn't transfer over but I'm comfortable taking game out to 225 with it. I hunt in pretty dense woods usually with under 100 yards of visibility. I have killed both deer and hogs with it and none have ran more then 25 yards.

Comment

• trubulator
            Warrior
            • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
            I got a new cell phone and all my strelok info didn't transfer over but I'm comfortable taking game out to 225 with it. I hunt in pretty dense woods usually with under 100 yards of visibility. I have killed both deer and hogs with it and none have ran more then 25 yards.
            Thanks. I will have to see what I get out of the CX before I try barnes or maker.

Comment

• Eye_guy
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2020

Comment

• trubulator
                Warrior
                • Aug 2022

I killed a large (150+ pounds) doe last month with an SST at 325ish yards. Based on the immediate drop and stop at that distance, I imagine 400 could have been easily doable. Not lead free, of course.

Comment

• Jake TN
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2019

What was wrong with the cavity backs and what weight did you try? Curious because it is on my list as a replacement for Barnes 100 ttsx. Going to try the makers first.

Comment

Working...
                  X