• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIANEB
    Warrior
    • Oct 2020

Starline nickel brass?

Anyone here using Starline nickel brass?
    If so what do you think of it?
    Thanks Diane
    Midway USA has it in stock...
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

Never tried the stuff, have questions about annealing

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

I just started using this as my 6ARC brass. Makes it easy to tell apart from my 6.5 Grendel. So far, so good, but don't have enough time with it to really form an opinion. I'm just on my second firing.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• DIANEB
        Warrior
        • Oct 2020

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
        I just started using this as my 6ARC brass. Makes it easy to tell apart from my 6.5 Grendel. So far, so good, but don't have enough time with it to really form an opinion. I'm just on my second firing.
        Thanks, I just ordered 100 to try...

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

I went through 400 pieces that I converted to ARC which were retired after 4-6 firings due to primer pockets loosening. Make sure your brass is well tumbled and clean before you size it as well as well lubed, as well as your die clean. With a Hornady die I got into a spiral of the nickel and die scratching each other. The brass was starting to look pretty gnarly before I retired it, but it still served its purpose which was to be able to find it during a match where a lot of people leave a lot of brass on the ground. My problem was likely a combination of the softer nickel plating combined with what I believe to be softer steel used in a Hornady die.

I'll also mention that I lube with a lanolin isopropyl spray. I have no idea if that had an impact on my experience.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• DIANEB
            Warrior
            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
            I went through 400 pieces that I converted to ARC which were retired after 4-6 firings due to primer pockets loosening. Make sure your brass is well tumbled and clean before you size it as well as well lubed, as well as your die clean. With a Hornady die I got into a spiral of the nickel and die scratching each other. The brass was starting to look pretty gnarly before I retired it, but it still served its purpose which was to be able to find it during a match where a lot of people leave a lot of brass on the ground. My problem was likely a combination of the softer nickel plating combined with what I believe to be softer steel used in a Hornady die.

I'll also mention that I lube with a lanolin isopropyl spray. I have no idea if that had an impact on my experience.
            Thank you... I will pay attention when sizing...
            I have the Mighty Armory sizing die so, hopefully it will work...

Comment

• Jake TN
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2019

You will have no problems resizing the Nickel plated brass with the mighty armory die. I resized some 223 nickel plated brass with the mighty armory die a couple weeks ago. Nickel plating can chip when trimming, so make sure you clean well to remove before resizing. Just one persons opinion here so take it will a grain of salt: there is no advantage to using nickel plated brass if you plan to resize and shoot multiple times in normal range conditions. However, there is risk of nickel getting in your barrel which would be fairly difficult to remove or scratching dies. Nickel plated brass is mostly seen in duty type ammo because it does not tarnish like brass and has some benefits to loading from the magazine into the firearm. My nickel plated 223 brass is all once fired duty ammo. I will reload that for storage/emergency use. I know a lot of people that have success using nickel plated brass for the long term in lower pressure hand gun straight wall cartridges with no issues. I have not been brave enough to try a long term test with rifle brass, nor do I have the time right now. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

Like others have said pay attention to it, your dies can get scratched from it especially id like some Winchester brass plated brass I had for the 7mm-08 quite a few years ago. After a couple loadings it started flaking off on the neck. Not good for the dies.

Just saying like above keep an eye on it. I have loaded lots of handgun brass that was plated though without issues like that, could have just been a bad batch I do not know but I have not loaded nickel plated bottle neck brass since.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                    Like others have said pay attention to it, your dies can get scratched from it especially id like some Winchester brass plated brass I had for the 7mm-08 quite a few years ago. After a couple loadings it started flaking off on the neck. Not good for the dies.

Just saying like above keep an eye on it. I have loaded lots of handgun brass that was plated though without issues like that, could have just been a bad batch I do not know but I have not loaded nickel plated bottle neck brass since.
                    +1

Scratched a .357 mag die bad. Just watch it and if it starts to flake, scrap it.

On the other hand if you put cartridges in leather loops and leave them there, you can't beat nickle. Brass corrodes. Nickle does not. I have .480 and .357 cartridges in my holders on my shoulder holsters that have been there a loooonnnggg time!

John

Comment

Working...
                    X